How to create links to local files?

I am using OmniFocus for task management and org-mode for note-taking. I am trying to add a link to my org-mode notes file in the notes section.

I see that we can do something like:

Edit/Attach File...

But this seems really cumbersome, as it requires lots of mousing around. Is there a way to do this using markdown or something equivalent?

I have tried adding links like"

file://Users/me/Downloads/checkfile.org

or

<file://Users/me/Downloads/checkfile.org>

But I get an error like:

Any Ideas? thanks!

Try constructing your links like this:

org-protocol://open-file?file=~/Downloads/checkfile.org

dang! that looks like it’s getting close… but it ends up trying to open this file:

File /Users/sergio/Dropbox/org-roam/org-protocol:/Users:/sergio/Downloads/checkfile.org is read-only on disk.  Make buffer read-only, too? (y or n) 

which is getting closer… but still not quite there…

Thanks!

I recommend checking out Hookmark.

Among other things, you can use this Mac app to link files and folders to OmniFocus tasks. Hookmark does a good job of keeping the link functional, even if the file/folder is moved or renamed.

Hookmark is available directly from the developer and is included with Setapp.

p.s. There’s a page dedicated to using Hookmark with OmniFocus on my Learn OmniFocus site:

https://learnomnifocus.com/app/hookmark/

1 Like

I suggest that the link should simply be the application name followed by the file that should be opened.

org://Users/me/Downloads/checkfile.org

I am not familiar with “org” as an application to verify this approach will work with it. The approach does work for me with the application Curio.

–
JJW

This may be of some help.

1 Like