How to display toolbar item name in OmniFocus 3 for mac?

Have you considered cutting the number of scripts by using dialog lists? For example, rather than six scripts to set times for today, have one script with a dialog list that has six options.

JJW

3 Likes

I have simple actions (add as much time to the assignment of tasks, put them on a certain day of the week from Monday to Sunday, move to 1,2,3,4 weeks ahead with saving time, put selected tasks 9, 11, 13, 15, 17.19 hours today, + 15, -15 min to selected task …)
Icons are small and unreadable! And they do not fit in the previous version.

Why not leave the user in the options?
Or even a hidden option that can be activated through a configuration file is hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

First, I have no problem setting icons for my scripts. They are set by setting the icon picture for the script file itself. They should (and did) carry over from OF2.

Second, I understand why you are frustrated. My proposal was to approach the problem in a different way. I realize my proposed approach turns your 30 icons that use only one click into perhaps 5-10 icons that need a click plus a menu selection.

Third, as a different approach, have you considered using the script menu in the finder’s menu bar?

Finally, as a general note, I must say that your example seems to be an extreme edge case. I would be overwhelmed to spend the time to create so many scripts for setting so many details let alone to find the time to use them let alone to expect that micro-managing my schedules to such levels would not be more tedious than worthwhile. I imagine that I am not alone, and that your concern about the inability to retain 30 scripts in the menu bar is likely not going to go far toward making a change in the UI for OF3.

Hence the reason for my proposals that you take alternative approaches.

JJW

2 Likes

I agree with your point of view.
However, I do not see why not leave the choice to the user,
Maybe I’m wrong but making scaling icons is not something very complicated and text under the icons. It is easier for many users to see text information under the icons because it is easier to navigate.

I love Omi through the ability to set up all interface for myself individual. Who likes is simpler there is Things.

Once upon a time, I had a lot of custom perspectives and scripts that populated the top toolbar and left side perspectives bar. It became cumbersome to manage and group.

I whipped out Keyboard Maestro and created a floating palette with a menu of options. I have several floating palettes that contains groups of perspectives or automated actions (an AppleScript or a Keyboard Maestro macro) that does something.

Like you, I had a long list of perspectives and Applescripts in the toolbar. Grouping them into floating palette groups helps to manage the ever growing list of buttons to choose from.

You could have one floating palette for the Monday to Sunday group.Then another palette for your time group (7 am, 5 pm, 12 pm). Another floating palette for your weekends group.

Using the KM floating palettes, I can get descriptive text with an icon.

Keyboard Maestro is $36.00. It was the best purchase I ever made. I remembered being hesitant about buying it because I wanted to automate only one thing (working with OmniFocus) and thought it was too expensive just for one thing. I eventually started noticing repetitive actions in other apps that became irritating and I figured out how to run through repeated actions with KM.

KM does wonders to speeding up actions. Spending $36.00 to group your huge number of perspectives and scripts is well worth the price.

Here is a post I wrote up at the Productivity Guild about creating Perspectives Groups in Keyboard Maestro.

The embedded video shows an example of the floating palettes I have that will reduce the clutter on the toolbar. These floating palettes can be visible in all apps or only in OmniFocus.

HTH

2 Likes

OK. Now I understand what your problem is.

My toolbar has small icons without text. Your problem is related to this …

The problem is derived from Apple not from OmniGroup.

Which version of macOS are you using?

JJW

I’m all for this solution. I can see the idea of a one-click solution would be helpful but this becomes a bit too cluttered for me visually.

1 Like

Thanks nice idea can be the solution

But another $ to pay for only because of the developer dsnt want to make checkbox)

And there is option to run Omnifocus second version and third at same time. Their have different file base. Discovered today.

Maby this is usefull someone

In High Sierra, I do not have this problem.

As per the referenced thread, Mail has not changed its menu bar. However, Safari has.

I believe your problem is with your version of OF3. You might need to contact the support at OmniGroup for further help.

JJW

Apple official iWork Pages/Numbers can display the toolbar item name.

Why?

Apple has a new unified toolbar that is tall enough just for an icon but not tall enough to add the name.

The iWorks apps is using the old toolbar. Apple does seem to slowly transition their apps one at a time. Nobody knows when the iWorks app will get the new toolbar.

I’m guessing that Apple believes that a good icon should not require a text label. The icon should be good enough to represent an action.

But we can always hover our cursor over the icon to get the name of the icon.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.