How to enter and report on material costs?

I can’t find specific documentation on how to enter and report on material costs - that is, out of pocket expenses that are a fixed amount per item, and not based on hourly rates.

Currently, I add a task then enter the material cost in the “Task Cost” field. This allows me to see these costs listed in Task view and separate from Resource Costs. But I don’t see them itemised or summaried in my Pro report.

I tried adding a resource called “Materials” and assigning this resource to the relevant tasks. But because the cost is different in each case, I need to enter it into the “Task Cost” field. I would like to see the total cost of materials summarised in my project overview. It would appear that my material costs are being included in my “Actual Cost” amount shown in the report overview, but it is frustrating that it is not shown as a subtotal on its own.

Am I missing something in understanding the correct way to record material costs?

@jana I’m afraid I’m not sure if I’m completely following along with what you’re trying to set up. It sounds like you have a materials cost that is essentially cost per use, but the cost is not consistent between uses? If this is the case, I think entering this cost as a task cost is probably the only way to enter this cost in OmniPlan.

That said, our Support team would be happy to look into this further with you, if you’d like to send them an email or a call! The can be reached by email at omniplan@omnigroup.com or by phone Mon - Fri, 10am - 5pm Pacific at 1 (800) 315-6664 or 1 (206) 523-4152. With a little more context from you about the type of costs you’re trying to enter in OmniPlan, they might be able to suggest a better solution.

1 Like

Thank you for being so helpful. I will contact your support team as you suggest.