How to find perspective ID

Hello,

I notice you can open a perspective by URL on iOS now. I am trying to find the perspective ID for one of my perspectives and I can’t find it. How can I find it?

Thanks.

Hey @ryanrudzitis! I’ve got some good news for you: recent versions of OmniFocus 2 are able to open perspectives by name as well as by ID. You should be able to construct a link like

omnifocus:///perspective/MyPerspective

and have OmniFocus do the right thing. (Keep in mind that you may need to percent-encode special characters in the name, such as spaces.)

If you do wind up needing the perspective ID, you can select that perspective in the OmniFocus window on your Mac, then run the following snippet of AppleScript:

tell application "OmniFocus"
    selected sidebar tab of first document window of default document
end tell

The output should include the perspective ID. For example, when I run this with a custom perspective selected, I see:

perspective id "muAJ5ORiudG" of default document of application "OmniFocus"

Awesome! Thanks for the speedy reply. One question - how would perspectives with the same name be handled?

I believe OmniFocus will try to pick the first perspective matching that name according to your perspective order. In that particular case, though, it’s probably more specific to find the perspective ID and use that – just in case your perspective order changes in the future.