How to make a global task list

Hello, coming from other task management softwares, I miss a view where I can see all of my pending tasks by due date, then the first item of current projects, then the following.
Somehow I feel like in Omnifocus the tasks are hidden within some subfolder, and you gotta go chase them actively.
Thanks!

All of that can easily be done with OF Pro 3 - e.g. the ā€˜Everythingā€™ Perspective. Do you have Pro?

Yes I have, noticed there are filtering options as many as one would like. So for example, how could I stack in a list ungrouped due soon items on top and grouped active projects below?..
Thanks!

silvestro,

In a custom Perspective you can quite easily filter using ā€˜cascadingā€™ set of rules adding and deleting at will.

Not being totally sure of exactly how you want to arrange your tasks, Iā€™d encourage you to experiment. For instance you might try setting up Rules which start with a default of everything available sorted by date due so as to get your Due Soons; then experiment in ā€˜Presentationā€™ with how you group, then sort, the filtered set.

I do wonder, though, whether, to extract due soon items (the ā€˜Date & Timeā€™ > Due Soon Preference will need to be set; and maybe exploited) from their Projects is the most helpful way to view them. Might you get just as much by actually including tasksā€™ Projects in those groups at the top?

1 Like

I freak out when I have an ā€œeverythingā€ perspective. Itā€™ll be super long for me.

I have noticed that my planning perspectives where I do my planning and reviewing tends to be very long. But when I want to work, my action perspective tend to be more focused and short. There are just a handful of tasks in my action perspectives.

OF3ā€™s custom perspectives lets me slice and dice so that i can just go down a row of action perspectives to know what i really want to do.

Action perspectives

When Iā€™m going outside, I visit the errands perspective. When Iā€™m at home, I look at my home perspective. When Iā€™m at the office, Iā€™m only concerned about my office work. When Iā€™m finally in front of my computer, I look at my @computer perspective.

An everything perspective just drowns me.

for @silvestroā€™s workflow, I might just review my group of perspectivesā€¦

Due perspective
Current Projects (showing first available tasks only)

After reviewing these to get the general overview of whatā€™s on deck for today, Iā€™ll start cranking on overdue/due today items in the Due perspective. Iā€™ll avoid the Current Projects perspective because Iā€™m prioritizing my work on due stuff. I might try to get ahead of myself and start work on a due soon task (due within the next 2-3 days) so that I donā€™t have to worry about it later. If I can get something done earlier then Iā€™ll go ahead and do it. Then Iā€™ll turn in the work on the due date.

Afterwards, Iā€™ll get to my Current Projects perspective showing only the first available tasks.

OF3 has forced me to rethink my need to have any ā€œEverythingā€ perspective. My action perspectives are intentionally short so that I can focus on the immediate and urgent before doing the other stuff.

• Planning perspectives can be as long as needed and show as many task items inside.
  • Action perspectives should be as short as possible. I can focus on what I need to do now without getting distracted by other tasks that donā€™t need to be addressed just yet.

Yes, I know that we do have to get to the Not Urgent/Important projects (from the Covey Matrix) eventually but sometimes other priorities such as the boss, spouse, family, or clients might crowd out my Not Urgent/Improtant projects.

I work one the urgent tasks (urgent/not important and urgent/important) first in the Due perspective. Then I work on my pet projects in the Current Projects perspective.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.