I’d be interested to know how you, as OmniFocus users, handle sequential projects in the app

I’ve been using OmniFocus for a very long time. I organize my tasks into projects set up as “single action lists.” Up until now, I haven’t used projects with sequential or parallel structures. When I see a task in OmniFocus in the morning - like today’s task: “Prepare for the fiber-optic connection installation at our house by the middle of next week” - I map out the individual steps and time estimates in iCal. That way, I have a complete overview of all tasks (including those for the current week) at a glance.

How do you manage this with sequential projects? Do you always have to access the project via the Project perspective? If a project’s next task only appears in the “Today” perspective after I mark the previous one as complete, how do I maintain an overview of the whole picture? I’d appreciate a few details on how you handle this.

I like that OmniFocus distinguishes single-action, parallel, and sequential projects. Each have there place.

Here’s a video that I shared on this subject (one of 11 videos in a “Why OmniFocus” series).

Dear Tim Stringer,
thank you very much for your quick response. I already understand how projects can be structured in OmniFocus. My post was more about my concern that I might misjudge the urgency of tasks from sequential projects in my “Today” view. Somewhere in my extensive daily list, a very simple task pops up in the morning, and I decide, “Never mind, I’ll do it later,” because—due to a stressful situation—I don’t realize that it belongs to a sequential project and that postponing it blocks an entire, very important project.
This morning I implemented a simple solution (suggested by Google AI). I’ll start using sequential projects again, but from now on I’ll mark them with an emoji as the first character in the project name, so that I can recognize at a glance that a task belongs to a sequential project—and even its priority. (Projectnames are now also displayed as a column in all my perspectives.)

🔴 Red Circle: High priority or blocked tasks
🟡 Yellow Circle: Medium priority
🟢 Green Circle: Low-risk projects

Let’s see if this works.

I use OmniFocus as my daily menu. All my due items automatically show up in forecast. Overdue items show up in the past due and I work on overdue first before getting to my forecast tagged items. If I have too many overdue tasks in the forecast, then I won’t add a sequential project to focus on tomorrow. I can add available tasks by setting a planned date for tomorrow. That takes care of admin work for tomorrow.

Warning: do not plan any more tasks if there are a lot of due/overdue tasks on your plate. Do not add a time block to work on a sequential project unless your due items are finished. It’s probably better to just plan 3 to 5 tasks in addition to your due tasks. Life has a funny way of adding more to your plate throughout the day.It’s better to have buffer time. I have space for life’s daily emergencies.

For sequential projects, I time block them. I make 30-90 minute time blocks on my calendar. I set up a calendar event with an alert set to 5 minutes prior. The alert reminds me to start switching my mindset to focus on a sequential project. I’ll go to OmniFocus project perspective and choose the one project to focus on. I have the project perspective set to show all remaining tasks. Then I’ll work from there. I don’t want to see any of the other available tasks or the forecast perspective.

In my weekly review, I’d like to look at my schedule and see where I can time block 30 to 90 minutes throughout the week to work on a sequential project. I want to reserve time throughout the week to work on that project. Progress is made in that focused project throughout the week.

I’ve found the forecast perspective better for single tasks and the project perspective to work on a single project.

an alternative would be to create a custom perspective, showing all available project projects and show remaining tasks. This is called my big rocks perspective. I switch to this perspective and then choose the one project to work on that can be an alternative to using the project’s perspective which shows all projects. Showing all projects can be distracting. The big rocks perspective only shows available projects. It’s a smaller subset and much less distracting.

You’re very welcome, @Monika .

You mentioned the “Today” perspective in your original post. Do you have a custom perspective called “Today”, or are you going to the Forecast perspective and clicking on Today?

I’m curious why you only use Single Action Lists and map out the steps in the Calendar app. Is the action in a Single Action List essentially a placeholder for a project with the actions time blocked in your calendar? Might it be simpler to use parallel/sequential projects for something with a defined outcome?

I rarely use sequential projects in practice, though they can be helpful if things need to happen in a specific order. An alternative is to have a parallel project with a sequential action group. This provides the best of both worlds by allowing you to track what can be done at any point in the project’s life cycle alongside actions that need to happen in a specific order.

I’ll be curious to hear how it goes with the circle tasks. I would think this could get to be tedious to manage.

Thanks for the feedback.

I work with many custom perspectives (TASKS TODAY, PRIORITIES, CLARIFY, WEEKLY COMPASS, DEADLINES, RADAR SCREEN, etc.). For me, using sequential projects poses a problem because I have to carefully check every task to ensure it isn’t confused with a task from a single-action list. How do you tell—within your perspective views—whether a task comes from a sequential project or a single-action list?
I use a huge number of tags (Today, This Week, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday… This Month, September, October, November, December, 2027, January, February… 2028, 2029, 2030, Future…) and so on. I also use priority tags, such as “🐸 Eat that Frog” (I’m not a vegan), “🔥 A-TASKS I must do,” “‼️ B-TASKS I should do,” “🫠 C-TASKS are nice to do”…
This structure of weekly and monthly tags makes it easy to plan my time effectively. I always use this to create my calendar schedule 1–2 weeks in advance using split-screen view.
I’m going to stick with my current method. As part of my weekly planning, I drag the tasks I need to complete into iCal and create detailed steps there for completing the projects. I’m opting out of sequential and parallel projects; my experiments with them last week didn’t offer any real advantage.

I’ve noticed that I’m using the Forecast perspective more for single actions and admin routine tasks.

I’m working either in one of two modes:

  1. Admin mode
  2. Project mode

I’ll set up a time block in my calendar app to make progress on single one-off tasks and admin work. I have one in the morning and one in the afternoon. That takes cares of my day job work.

I do schedule a 60-90 minute time block to work on a sequential project. When the time comes, I’ll go to that project and just work from there.

I am curious to see Kanban coming to OmniFocus. I think I’ll use the list view as seen in today’s OmniFocus to work on my admin work. Then I’ll switch to whatever this new kanban feature looks like to work on a sequential project. I’d imagine that we can see the remaining actions in a kanban card layout. It’ll be an interesting time to see this feature eventually come out. But in the meantime, I’m still churning away at admin work and then switch to a focused project during my scheduled time block.

I use projects (sequential and parallel) for any desired outcome that takes more than one concrete step to accomplish. The project name is the intended outcome (e.g. “Schedule Fall 2027 courses”).

A sequential project is one that is strongly path dependent: for example, when I’m reviewing a book, my actions are generally:

  • Wait to receive Author, Title [I create this action with a “Waiting” tag so I can be reminded to contact the journal or publisher if the book doesn’t arrive]
  • Read and take notes on Author, Title
  • Draft review of Author, Title
  • Revise review of Author, Title
  • Submit review of Author, Title

In the case of a review, I can’t do any of the steps until I’ve completed the preceding one, which is why I use a sequential project. For other projects, such as researching and writing a chapter, it’s possible to be working on several aspects at once, at least until a certain stage, so for those I use a parallel project (though for a short writing project, once a piece enters production I might change it to a sequential project).

I mostly use OF on my Mac, I usually have the Inspector open, and I have the Forecast perspective set to show the project as a column, so when I look at my Forecast for today, I can see what project is associated with each action.

However, the primary way I maintain an overview of the whole picture is through regular weekly reviews of active projects (or more frequent reviews, in the case of urgent projects). For each project, I assess whether I’m making reasonable progress and whether I’ve defined enough actions to keep the project moving for another week.

Doing regular reviews helps keep me from focusing too much on what is urgent and not enough on what is important but not urgent. It also keeps me from planning excessively, which can get in the way of actually doing things. That’s one insight that I took from Getting Things Done when I first read it: the kind of meticulous planning that’s required for a large team-based project is often overkill for personal projects.

Thanks for your post. In retrospect, I realized I hadn’t described my issue with sequential projects in OmniFocus precisely enough. I am certainly capable of managing “sequential” projects—though I’ve always handled that in iCal until now. In OmniFocus, I treat the “project” itself as a simple task (e.g., currently “Activate fiber-optic connection”). In iCal, I list the individual steps leading up to the task’s due date in detail. For my personal life alone, I currently have about 170 tasks in OmniFocus (many of them recurring, such as bleeding radiators, renewing my rail discount card, preparing my tax return, etc.) spread across 45 projects, each consisting of just a single task. I used to use sequential projects in OmniFocus and mix them with a large number of personal and professional tasks. When looking at the daily task list in my “TASKS TODAY” perspective, it was tedious to distinguish at a glance whether a task was a simple, standalone item or the current step of a project. I had to display the project names in the perspective and then—for a task like “Buy folders with labels,” for instance—check whether it was part of a project or just a reminder to get supplies for filing old personal documents.
I’m currently running a test. I’m creating sequential projects and prefixing their names with an emoji or symbol (e.g., “[✅ Organize stack of documents]”). Now, when I look at my many upcoming tasks for “Today,” “This Week,” and “This Month,” I can see at a glance which tasks belong to a project and which are standalone tasks. Let’s see if that solves my problem…

Thanks for the explanation! I have a couple of thoughts; if they’re helpful to you, that’s great; if not, they might be helpful to someone else who is reading the discussion.

It sounds like your use of an emoji has solved the problem of quickly seeing whether a task is a single action or part of a sequential project. I have solved that problem by using an abbreviated version of the project name in actions, unless it’s obvious what project it’s part of. To return to my book review example, if I am reviewing a book by John Smith, and I needed to check whether Smith had fairly evaluated the work of a rival, I would name the task something like “Check Jones book for Smith review.” That gives me context to situate the task in a larger project.

Based on your description of working with iCal for detailed planning, I am curious to know whether you have read David Allen’s Getting Things Done, or one of the synopses of it that are available online. Allen is a proponent of using your calendar only for things that must be done, or can only be done, on a specific day or at a specific time. Aside from family events and holidays, I have three calendars I use regularly: (1) work events that are at a fixed time, (2) personal events that are a hard commitment, and (3) events I would like to attend if possible. I use all-day events for tasks that must be accomplished on a specific day, but without a specific time. I occasionally use another calendar to block out time to work on specific areas of responsibility, usually when there’s a frog I have been too reluctant to eat. Otherwise, knowing that my calendar contains only things I must do or would like to do if time permits, clearly distinguished by color, I can look at each day and week (and in really bad times, month) and decide how much time I’ll have for unscheduled tasks, and thus what I can realistically accomplish. E.g., this coming week I have two all-day meetings with only brief breaks for meals and email, and I’m flying on Friday, so I know that I’ll have only 2 work days without many scheduled commitments to get things done.

I use OmniFocus for everything that doesn’t need to be done at a specific time, on the grounds that I have a huge number of open commitments, and putting them in my calendar would just be setting myself up for having to rework a lot on those all too often occasions where something comes up unexpectedly and I have to reframe my work day or week. My Forecast perspective reminds me of what’s urgent and what commitments I already have for my time in the next few days; reviews, meanwhile, remind me of what is important but not urgent, as well as the frogs I’m avoiding. For some perspective, I currently have 67 unprocessed inbox items (I was on vacation for a couple weeks and need to process the inbox soon, but not tomorrow due to an all-day meeting), and 863 remaining actions in 139 projects. Because I do regular reviews, I don’t find that list overwhelming; if I didn’t, I might despair at the number.

Everyone is different, but I was struck by the fact you mentioned that you have “many custom perspectives” and “a huge number of tags.” I have only a handful of custom perspectives, and while my tag list has grown since OF started to allow multiple tags on an action or project, I have few that I regularly use. If your system works for you, there’s no need to change, but if you’re frustrated, I wonder whether cutting back on the time required to manage many perspectives and tags would help you feel less stressed. In particular, I wonder what advantage year and month tags like “2027” and “January” bring that can’t be handled by setting a defer or due date to January 2027.

Again, this may not be helpful to you; feel free to ignore it!

Oh, for a bit of history, I discovered Getting Things Done before OmniFocus existed. Before I discovered the Kinkless GTD set of OmniOutliner scripts that implemented GTD, I was managing my projects and tasks using a Mac program called Life Balance, from Llamagraphics. The idea behind that program was that you would put your tasks into broad categories that were important to you, such as Work, Hobbies, Relationships, Travel, etc., and it would use your task completion record to shift priorities in order to achieve balance. E.g., if you were checking off lots of things in Work and Hobbies, tasks in Relationships and Travel would gradually receive higher priority on your list. It was a great idea, but I don’t think the software implemented it that well. But I found that the GTD idea of regular reviews, including higher-level reviews every few months and a big review every year or two, encompassed the same spirit of making sure you don’t get bogged down in the daily/weekly grind. The YearCompass project is similar.

Thank you very much for your detailed answers.
Labeling projects with emojis in their names has a major advantage for me: now, with just a quick glance at the screen—no matter which view I’m in—I’m alerted that there’s more work to be done on more complex projects. It serves to grab my attention.
By using my tags “@Monday,” “@Tuesday,” … “@Next Week,” “@September,” “@October” … “@Year 2027,” “@Year 2028” … I have a great overview of all upcoming tasks. For example, “Renew ID card valid through August 11, 2029” gets the tag “@Year 2029” from me, since it’s not yet possible or practical to plan a specific date at this time. For example, toward the end of 2028, I’ll plan all tasks tagged with “@Year 2029” more specifically for the new year (e.g., with “@February,” “@June” …). Very important tasks with fixed dates are also assigned a due date. This tagging system helps me manage my schedule very effectively.
I plan for the current week by carefully reviewing the tasks assigned to “@This Week” and their assignment to the respective day of the week (“@Monday,” “@Today,” etc.). For tasks with the “@Today” tag (in the “TASKS TODAY” view), I then drag the tasks into iCal and schedule them for execution with a start time and duration exactly as needed. I really like using iCal.

Thanks for your reply! It seems like your system works well for you, and OF is flexible enough to accommodate it.

It seems like a lot of what you do with tags, I do with defer dates and reviews. To take your example:

What I would do for that project is to set a defer date and a review date in late 2028 or early 2029. Then it would be off my list of available items and would not turn up in my regular reviews before I need to start thinking about it. When the defer date arrives, it would appear in my Forecast (which I have set up to show defer dates, as a kind of tickler file), which I would notice during my daily scan of the Forecast, and it would show up in my weekly review, at which point I could give it a more precise date or start to work on it.

I started using OF back in 2007 as an alpha tester; in development and then in the first two release versions, OF allowed only one tag (then called a “context”) for each action. Multiple tags appeared only in version 3, in 2018, at which point my habits were fairly set. I still rarely assign more than one tag to an item, except for my Forecast tag (“Soon”). Instead, I make frequent use of defer and review dates.