Ideas for Packing list with multiple Contexts or Perspectives in OF3?

Hello People,

soon I will travel and I made a packing list. As I want to use my packing list for other travels as well I am thinking about the best way to implement this in OF3. Could I give a (multiple) tag to the tasks with “packing” and everytime I travel to “X,Y or Z” I make a perspectivr which includes all the tasks regarding City X and also all tasks with the Context “packing”?

I would be happy about Ideas from you regarding OF3 and this aim. (And I dont want to make lists in Evernote or any note app btw! I want to keep all my packing list tasks etc in Omnifocus! No other apps please!) I appreciate your help very much!

Konti

I would be happy about Ideas from you regarding OF3 and this aim. (And I dont want to make lists in Evernote or any note app btw! I want to keep all my packing list tasks etc in Omnifocus! No other apps please!) I appreciate your help very much!

Konti
[/quote]

Hi maybe this could help if not inspire to something better.
I use omnifocus to get my shopping list, every paycheck, I set items with a tag ”COSTCO”, and i set all items to repeat after completion for 2 weeks on Friday when it’s payday or 4weeks if not consume rigth away and so on, then I set a perspective to show COSTCO items and to sort them by due date. This way I can easily see it and check off items as they are competed and then they get new ones for the next two weeks or four and my shopping list is easy to follow and self renewing

Ok thank you! What I wanted more was maybe also making a perspective which included tasks regarding my journey and the packing list at the same time.

I think you can still use it the same way, just add on the filters the tags that are specific to the journey, on another perspective I also use to budget expenses I have it collect items that are tagged “bills” and “expenses” which also have “COSTCO” items tagged as expenses, this allows me to see and decide what I need to pay and if I have items I would like to pay for in this pay check, or if I can move them to the following.

This might work for you as you can have a perspective that collects you checklist for the packing but also items specific to journey”A” to make the trip successful. You can also group by tags so it would make it easy to see items for the trip in the first section and then those specific to packing just bellow it. I modified mine briefly to show this, though for my purposes I prefer to group by due date which makes It easier to look at time slots based on pay period

1 Like

Thank you very much. I am still on OF2 and will give a shot in OF3 and will update you about my way of doint it!

I am i OF2 but I guess it doesn’t make a difference since there is no need for tags.

I have several different master (template) packing and shopping lists, each one is set up as a project in a pause state , so they don’t show up in action lists.

Every time I need one, I made a copy (duplicate) of the appropriate template, change the name and set it to active status with a due date and there it is ready for use.

They do not generate automatically, I have to do it manually when I need to. Ir could be automated and more sophisticated but not worth the effort for me since it is so immediate, just 3 clicks.

Hi that is also a cool option. I installed OF3 now and did the following:

• I created own projects for packing and shopping

• Created a Project for my “Trip to X”

• Created a perspective which shows my whole Project X and Tasks from the packing or shopping list tagged with “TraveltoX”

• So now I can see my whole tasks from the trip and also tasks from my packing/shopping list which are tagged with “Trip to X”.

• If I bought or packed sth I simply delete the tag “Travel” from the task and it doesnt show up in my perspective anymore.

For now this works great and I will use OF3 from now on because I can achieve this scenario with OF3.

Glad to hear it’s working for you, I’ve been using OF for over two years now and I’m still learning nee ways to have it leverage my to-do’s. Once you have a system to use then start probing on how to improve it.

1 Like

Yes I totally agree! My approach and goal is always to have a system which is fast, easy and efficient as possible. If I can combine these three I am happy.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.