In 3.10 How to use siri in apple watch?

Ok so the release notes for version 3.10 in iOS state:

Apple Watch - New tasks can be created via Siri on Apple Watches running watchOS 7.

Great! How? I have iPhone 11, iOS 14.0.1, watchOS 7. What incantation must i speak to be able to hands free add a task to my inbox via the watch. I don’t want to touch anything, long-press anything, continue on iphone, manually open omnifocus, etc.

I want to be in the middle of my run, say <magic incantation here> and have my brilliance captured to the inbox. Is this possible?

I’ve tried getting siri to add tasks on the watch in watchOS 6 and 7, I can’t get it to listen past add …
It always responds that it’s not possible

You can configure OmniFocus in its settings to grab tasks from the iOS App Reminders.
You then just have to say „Hey Siri, remind me to get Milk“ or so.
Otherwise you have to say: „Hey Siri, remind me to get Milk in OmniFocus “

I know I can do the reminders route, OF should be able to do it natively though. And it doesn’t…

1 Like

I thought it could always do this. I say, “add do this thing in OmniFocus” and it create a new item in the inbox. What is different in watchOS 7?

1 Like

See this support article.

Let me be more clear. When I am away from my phone (i.e., I am out running) and I ask OmniFocus to do anything… it doesn’t. I have the cellular watch with a plan. As far as I can tell, there is nothing actually new here. So I do not understand what the mention of using siri Apple Watch app in the release notes is about.

Do you have Omnifocus installed on the watch?

I emailed support and got the following response. Looks like this was more of a bug fix than a new feature:

The line in those release notes about added support for watchOS 7 was related to the fix for a bug that was blocking this feature from creating items in OmniFocus as expected. The underlying syntax here hasn’t changed, and as of right now this is a limited subset of the interactions that are listed here:

https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/omnifocus/ios/latest/en/interacting-with-siri/#interacting-with-siri

As of right now, the commands that should work with Siri when invoked directly from your watch would be:

Add [task] in OmniFocus (or alternatively, “In OmniFocus, add [task]”)

Or

Remind me [task] at [time] in OmniFocus.

Both of those interactions would require tapping the “Continue in OmniFocus” prompt on your watch, but that should result in those items being created in your OmniFocus Inbox.

1 Like

Well that’s a whole lot of useless. What’s the point of watch entry if you just have to open your phone anyway?

1 Like

Even if it did work properly it’s always going to take “more words” to add to OmniFocus just because you have to specify the app - which is why I tend to use the Reminders integration and just say “Remind Me of whatever at 6pm”, and I’m not going to forget how to do that - unlike with some of the other siri commands.

I have the latest beta of the watch app, and with that you can launch the app from a complication, do a long press and directly dictate a new item. With the newer watches you can do offline.

Interestingly the option to scribble an entry has gone, but the dictation seems pretty good - so I won’t miss that…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.