Is it possible to export OO to OPML and retain links?

The Help file for OmniOutliner makes clear that exerting to OPML strips out the styling (which would be naturally expected) but when I try this all links set up with the outline are also stripped out (unless the URLs are left as text, not set as referenced links).

As I understand it OPML is deliberately set up to handle lists of links so there seems no way that this could be deliberate, or expected behaviour.

What might I be doing wrong? (although I can’t see much scope for doing anything wrong here (File > Export > OPML) or is this a bug?

Thanks

When working in the native file format, OmniOutliner handles links as just another attribute of the built in Rich Text Format support. Since OPML is built around plain text, it’s not surprising (but also not desirable, it sounds like) that those are getting stripped out - just like bolding, font faces, etc.

Apologies for the trouble - will file this as a feature request!

1 Like

Hi Brian, Sorry, but you’re mistaken about OPML. The OPML 2.0 spec at http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html says “Text attributes may contain encoded HTML markup.” so it’s definitely not limited to plain text. OmniOutliner’s OPML export feature creates an OPML 2.0 file but it strips all markup from text including links, bold, italic, etc. Stripping this markup is a serious deficiency because it makes the exporter essentially useless for large outlines. OPML is OmniOutliner’s only “real outline” export format so OmniOutliner currently has no exporter that preserves both the outline structure and fundamental features like links and simple text formatting. I have several enormous outlines to export so this bug is killing me. For what it’s worth, I verified that OmniOutliner supported OPML export before buying it. Please elevate this issue from a feature request to a high priority issue. I’d also appreciate any feedback about when we can expect to see a release that addresses this issue. Thanks in advance. -Mark

But is OPML 2.0 so new that it doesn’t have widespread support?

If so, then two export functions would be necessary.

The spec is 10 years old. The files they produce identify as OPML 2.0 files. There’s no harm in keeping an “OPML with plain text” option to preserve backward compatibility but we need a fully functional OPML export option.

OK. Thanks! Wasn’t particularly doubting it.

Now the job is going to be to work with any vendors not supporting 2.0.

Sorry for the delay - was out of the office, but back now.

I’m not the best person on the team to determine how to resolve the ‘may include HTML’ statement in the spec with the ‘outline elements generally don’t include HTML’ one, but I’ll make sure the rest of the team knows that you want them included!

There’s nothing to resolve about the spec. The complete quote in the spec is “Outline attributes generally do not contain encoded HTML markup, unless their [sic] are specifically said to include markup.” Text elements are specifically said to include markup (“Text attributes may contain encoded HTML markup.”) so the general statement about outline attributes doesn’t apply to text attributes. What’s needed is a melding of the existing OPML exporter and the existing non-dynamic HTML exporter. -Mark