Keyboard shortcut for new inbox entry

Hello,

Trying to up my OF game (relatively new user), especially with regard to my new stream deck. Is there an easy way to enter a new task into the inbox, ie: a keyboard shortcut or menu item? Anyway would be fine as I’m also using keyboard maestro, so any sort of script etc would work as well, and I could map it to a keyboard shortcut, then to the stream deck.

Perhaps the solution is to use quick entry and just leave everything else blank?

Thanks in advance.

I think the best solution would be, as you suggest, to use Quick Entry.

If you wanted to, you could set up a simple Shortcut or similar with a prompt for text and then add that to the inbox, but I personally would prefer to have the flexibility to add some other quick information in the Quick Entry prompt if I wanted to, or to add multiple tasks at once with Shift + Enter.

1 Like

Thank you. I wasn’t really understanding the basics I think. Quick entry does what I was looking for.

What Kaitlin said (excellent answer), plus…

When you create a new task using Quick Entry, you can assign to the new task a project, a tag, both, or neither. Then the rule for what defines an inbox entry comes into play. This rule is governed by the setting Preferences > Organization > Clean up inbox items which have option. Basically, any new task that meets the criteria specified in this option are cleaned up (removed from the inbox). So you might create a new task only to find that it’s not in the inbox as you expected. Check that setting.

Also, the keyboard shortcut for Quick Entry is user-configurable. See the aptly named Preferences > Quick Entry Shortcut setting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.