Leveling resources assigned 2 staff members to same task

Is there a way to stop this from happening? The 2 staff members are part of the same group, so I imagine that is why. What I would like to happen is for the program to assign one member to each task, but to choose a member of the group I assign (not a portion of their time).

Thanks!

1 Like

Especially confusing as the documentation says:

“If you assign a group of resources to a task, OmniPlan provisionally labels the task as having the whole resource assigned. Then, when you level resources, one member of the group is chosen to work on that task. If that member becomes unavailable, leveling again assigns a different member.”

@elizabeth This behavior might be caused by the resource allocation option selected for your task in the Task Inspector - my guess is that “Adjust Assigned Amounts” is selected for this task (although it’s hard to say without looking at your project file). You probably want to select “Adjust Task Duration” instead, verify that the effort and duration for your task match up, then re-level your project.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue you’re encountering, our Support team would be happy to troubleshoot with you! They can be reached at omniplan@omnigroup.com.

@ains Hopefully I’m not hijacking a different problem, but here’s my task’s assignment configuration. I only assigned the group “BE” to the task. This is the way it looks no matter what radio I select in Resource Allocation section. I would expect one of the resources from the group to be picked and the task’s duration to grow according to that resource’s availability. The task has no prereqs and a couple of dependents. It’s got no other constraints and is scheduled to start ASAP. I have auto-levelling on. Maybe it’s picking both resources because collectively they’re available 100%?

@deevee Hmm, it’s hard to say what’s happening here without taking a look at the scheduling in your project. Would you mind sending an anonymized copy of the project to our support team? You can do so by selecting Help > Contact Omni… in the OmniPlan menu bar and selecting the option to include a copy of the file. This will create an email addressed to our support team with a copy of your OmniPlan document, replacing all of the text in your document with “Xxxxx” strings.

Thanks!

For others looking for an answer, the support team suggested to use Resources’ Efficiency instead of Units (like I have in my example) to model how much time they can dedicate to the project. That way, only one resource will be picked for a task when a group is assigned.

1 Like

That was very informative . I would like to know whether it is possible to change the % allocation of a person, who is allocated on 2 overlapping tasks, for the overlapped period only. Say if the task was of 6 days and the overlap was on 2 days, can I give different % to the 2 days and different % to 4 days?
Thanks

@destinyguru This is not currently possible, sorry! We do have an open feature request for the ability to assign resource units at an amount that varies over the duration of the task - I’ll attach your comment so that the rest of the team is aware that you’d find this useful too!