Link to a specific shape or canvas from outside OmniGraffle

Note: I updated my original post for more clarity for my use case. Thanks @ScoutsHonor

Hi,

I originally posted this in the OmniGraffle section, but it suggested I try here for assistance.

Is it possible to get a link to a specific shape or canvas in OmniGraffle instead of a general link to a file? For example, I’d like to have a link in another app file, e.g., OmniFocus or PDF, then click the link and have it open OmniGraffle and take me to a shape instead of only opening the file. Essentially deep linking, I was trying to accomplish this with Hookmark, but I couldn’t figure out a way. So, I thought there might be a way to get a URL in OmniGraffle, or someone might know a workaround.

An example would be two separate links, one for Rectangle A on Canvas 1 and another for Rectangle B on Canvas 2. So, similar to when you have links to specific pages or text blocks in a PDF.

Alternatives: A way to generate a persistent object ID so that I can construct a link or launch the file and then search for the object. This way, I can call the script, which would flow through to the target shape.

Side note: I spoke with support, and they said there is a Deep Link enhancement in the backlog, but I’m not sure where it sits regarding being implemented. Desperate for a workaround because I have a project, and I’d like to use OmniGraffle, but I need this type of functionality to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

There are some options when you go to the Properties page of an object. One is “Jump To…” which you can use to highlight an object, center on a point, zoom to display rectangular, and three canvas actions.

I am having trouble getting the “Highlight an Object” but the other “Center on a point” and “Zoom to display rectangle” work well. You can choose items on different canvases, too.

Hi @ScoutsHonor,

Thanks for your reply!

After your response, I reread my original post and feel I left out a critical part of my use case. I’m looking for a link I can have in a document outside of Omnigraffle. Click on the link and have it launch OmniGraffle file, but once open, take me to the shape, etc. I usually use Hookmark for when linking to a PDF, etc, but I couldn’t do it this time in OmniGraffle. I started by trying to see if you could “copy as link” as you could do in other apps like OmniFocus, but I didn’t have any luck.

As you mentioned, I saw the ability to use actions in an OmniGraffle doc. Do you know if there is a way to get the link from OmniGraffle for the “jump to” action? Or build one based on standard syntax, etc. Or some other way to achieve my goal?

I hope that makes sense. If not, let me know!

I think you are going to have to delve into the automation section. They know the scripting much better than I.

Ah, thanks for the suggestion!!