Marking a Task as "Started" or "Partially Done"

I’m a brand new user and I am LOVING OmniFocus!
Can you please help me with something?
When looking at a task in any view (such as the flagged view), is there a way I can mark it as “started” or “partially done.”
For example, I might have a task that says “Email Larry about Approving the Proposal”
I’d like to be able to mark the task to recognize that I DID send an email.
But, since I need Larry to email back to confirm, I don’t want to mark the task a completed just yet.
I sincerely appreciate your help in advance! :)

I keep track of progress on a task using the notes field. For example, if I have a task “call Jon Doe to discus xxxx,” I might add a note saying “date/time: left vmail for Jon.”

I can suggest one of two approaches. Both require that you appreciate the power of contexts.

Method I - set two tasks in a sequential manner

–> email Larry about approving the proposal [context: email]
–> get Larry’s response about approving the proposal [context: Waiting On>Larry]

Method II - toggle the context of the one task

(prior to you doing the action)
–> connect with Larry about approving the proposal [context: email]
(after you do the action)
–> connect with Larry about approving the proposal [context: Waiting On>Larry]

I use the first method.

JJW

2 Likes

Alternatively to @DrJJWMac’s convenient ideas you could do the following: use the notes field for the documentation and flag every ongoing task.
An OF Pro alternative to flagging would be to create an “ongoing” perspective that watches for a keyword in the notes field, like “progress” or the likes. There all the ongoing things would converge automagically, never to be forgotten or - God forbid - hidden from sight.

Tell us how it’s going with you!

1 Like