My perspectives won't open in a new window

I have several perspectives set to open in a new window. But they don’t. I’m running OF 2.1.2 and OS 10.10.3 on a MacBook Pro.

Wondering if it’s just me (in which case, any idea how to fix it?) or if others are experiencing this problem.

I can create a plain old new window from both the keyboard shortcut and the menu command, so that function works. It just doesn’t get triggered when I open the perspectives. Also: Is the Option-Click method dead in OF 2? That used to be the fastest, easiest way to get this to happen. Doesn’t work either.

Thanks for any help.

1 Like

I am running OF 2.1.2 and OS 10.10.3 and I am not seeing the behaviors that you are seeing. Perspectives that I have set to open in a new window do and option clicking a perspective in the menu bar opens a new window. Option clicking on the sidebar does not open a new window. Not sure how to fix this but it seems that your OF preference file is corrupted.

I trashed all the files in my User Library > Preferences folder that started with com.omnigroup.OmniFocus…

Restarted my computer, relaunched OF2 and got the same result. Are there files someplace else I missed?

The existence of files in Library > Preferences is an implementation detail of the operating system, and is subject to change. In fact, that’s not where preferences live for sandboxed applications like OmniFocus 2.

Okay, KyleS, I’ll bite. Where DO they live? And (since you’re a former Omni staffer) is that the correct approach to fixing this problem?

The defaults Terminal command will help you interact with preferences.

defaults delete com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2 will delete all your OmniFocus 2 preferences.

I’m getting the same problem. Did you solve the problem, Josh?

The problem turns out not to be a real one. Perspectives only open in new windows under certain circumstances, from certain places in the UI. Option-clicking on the left side tab doesn’t work. But opening it from the menu does.

Oh ok. I see what you mean. Thanks.

“The problem turns out not to be a real one. Perspectives only open in new windows under certain circumstances, from certain places in the UI.”
This seems like a real problem to me! Thanks for raising it and posting how to work around it. (They should fix it too!)

1 Like

Is this issue still outstanding?

I just sent my vote to omnifocus@omnigroup.com, just in case it still is:

After switching from OF1 to OF2, I miss a lot the Alt(Option)-Click on perspective icon in sidebar to open it in a new window.

From this thread, looks like the issue was still there as of Dec 2015: My perspectives won't open in a new window

If it’s still outstanding, please add my vote to resolving it.

Hmm, the support just replied that I’m actually the first person ever who emailed for Opption-click to open perspective in a new window.

So if anyone still interested, please send them an email asking for just that. Feel free to re-use my text from above comment if it can help.

I’m experiencing the same problem, new window won’t open :( - Any solution to this?