Network Designers using Omnigraffle - Any Feedback or resources?

Looking for Network Design skills using Omnigraffle - please advise as to the best forum as most technical are UX designers. We do Enterprise Network Design. Jay Raimondi - Chief Delivery Officer

I do lots of computer architecture diagramming. Not networks as such (but mainframe).

While I don’t do that diagramming in OmniGraffle (mainly) let me give you a piece of advice…

… If you can - with programming - get from Network instrumentation to diagrams you’ll do yourself a favour for a number of reasons…

• Accuracy
  • Consistency of diagramming
  • Productivity

I feast my eyes on the new JavaScript-based automation. :-)

(My automated diagramming is PHP webscraping HTML reports to generate HTML 5 Canvas.)

It would be handy to be able to create “line patterns” to replicate things such as CAT-5 individual wire colors i.e, blue/white, orange/white, brown/white, and green/white.

Thoughts?

-tp

All really good suggestions, we use a relational DB to build complex connection matrices these can go-to 10,000 plus connection points, this also intersects with test plans automation scripts.

For now, the first layer is to bring on contracting skills to build these diagrams as the diversity of equipment and architecture dictate a manual first step due to complex variables. Really appreciate the input. Jay

2 Likes