OF 2 for ipad won't open! [9/27 Update: fixed builld rolling out to App Store now]

This is grossly unacceptable and almost unforgivable.

If I wanted a problem like this, I could have obtained it at less cost and trouble elsewhere.

Ouch. Happened to my OF 2 as well. Last week moved all my stuff to this one. Already feels like a downgrade - more clicks to handle the basic daily flow (try moving a task from the list to today) and now cannot use it at all.

But what will I do, if I donā€™t have an iPhone and therefore not bought the iPhone version? I even canā€™t downgrade to version 1 since I had not installed it before. How can I get access to my data?!
I am really frustrated and will give this app back to the apple support as soon as possible. Never had such bad experience with any app ever than the last few days since I bought omnifocus. So poor.

Likewise, I bought the app last night, with an opportunity to spend a chunk of time this morning getting things out of my head and into the iPad. I donā€™t have an iPhone or a mac, and donā€™t have an earlier version to fall back on, so it felt like taking a risk to buy an app which only works on one platform. I was swayed by the excellent reviews received and the strength of GTD linking, but my biggest worry was stability - with no other means of access to my tasks, can I trust this? Iā€™m now beginning to suspect that I have made the wrong decision!

I donā€™t have an iPhone, and just bought the iPad app (with the pro upgrade, on the ā€˜start as you mean to go onā€™ approach) last night intending to set it up over the weekend, so I donā€™t have an earlier version to fall back on. I canā€™t really see using something I donā€™t have as a great strategy, and this comment feels a bit insensitive.

Just to summarize for anyone just joining: Everyone with the iPad OF 2 has this issue. Omni mistakenly submitted the build as a ā€œtest buildā€ and customers are locked out of OF 2 until Apple processes their new build.

This is of course distressing to all of us because our GIT ā€œTrusted Systemā€ has to be available to be trusted. I love the product, and all I ask of Omni is that they learn from this mistake so that we donā€™t have to go through it again.

So we probably have to wait until next week to get access to our data on iPads again? Great job guys.

This software is far too expensive for such a schoolboy error.

Iā€™ve just spent another Ā£20.99 on Omni software and 24 hours later it is unusable - disappointing.

Would not be too bad if it were a one off but weā€™ve seen other problems recently that suggest lack of Change Management and software version controls.

:-(

1 Like

at least, they got on the ball and said something as soon as it happened and issued a fixed version quicklyā€¦ I wouldnā€™t make much of it.

But I guess now Iā€™ll probably get flamed for this postā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s disappointing and a bit frustrating, but I agree, life goes onā€¦

2 Likes

Having just bought the app last week I was also surprised to see this happening. However, seeing that we all have the same issue Iā€™m taking it as a sign that itā€™s the weekend and a good excuse to do something else. Catch up with friends and family, enjoy lifeā€¦

2 Likes

The same problem. Canā€™t open. And in AppStore it says that itā€™s unavailable in Russian AppStore.

Same here. Not happy this morning and I expext better from OmniGroup. Rookie mistake.

Might I suggest that you provide the stricken users with some sort of compensation, for example in the form of a temporary free dowload possibility for the iphone or Mac app, so that we can access our tasks again? I used OF 1 for a long time and just a few days ago i repurchased(grrr!) OF2, because i found the quality of your product worth the money (but only after hesitation). This snafu kinda spoils the premium experienceā€¦

I find a further related problem.

My OF 2 for ipad failed as described above, and I reinstalled OF 1 for ipad to use while waiting for a fix.

Every time I try to sign into my WebDAV server with OF 1 it crashes. The WebDAV server works fine with OmniPlan, worked with OF 2 until it died, and works fine with every other application Iā€™ve used.

Further, Iā€™ve found OF 2 prone to crashes before it ran into the test build expiry.

A fix to OF 1 might be a good placee to start if OF 2 is waiting for Appleā€™s attention?

The occasional bug or mistake is not a big deal, but this is beginning to look like a pattern.

Just yesterday I was thinking that I should use OF more as Iā€™ve paid a ton of money for all the versions (including this now borked version which, while looking nice, seems to be less efficient in a number of ways). I guess Iā€™m lucky in that I havenā€™t had many issues before, but Iā€™m not sure I like the direction the product is taking design-wise; really donā€™t like it when it just fails to work at all. Hereā€™s hoping for a quick turn around on the update, but Iā€™m going to be thinking about whether this should be my primary trusted system.

The same problem here! :-(

This is really a big disappointment. Especially when I depend on OmniFocus2 working on my iPad when I have to travel with a broken ankle and can not carry a lot of luggage. I agree with Jason who said ā€œRookie mistakeā€.

Here is the response that I received from OmniGroup Support regarding this issue. I am really not sure why they havenā€™t posted it to the forums yet.

Please accept our deepest apologies from all of us here at the Omni Group. Earlier this evening, we discovered that the build of OmniFocus 2 for iPad which we submitted to Apple for distribution on the App Store erroneously included code that was only intended to be active in the pre-release/testing phase.

That erroneously-included code enforces an expiration date that asks you to download a newer build, then causes the app to shut down. This mistake is why youā€™re seeing the ā€œThis OmniFocus prerelease has expired, please install a new build from Omniā€ message just before the app shuts down.

We have corrected our error in a new build which has been submitted to Apple along with a request for an expedited review by the App Store team. To prevent anyone else from being affected by our error, we have temporarily removed OmniFocus 2 for iPad from sale on the app store.

This problem affects everyone thatā€™s purchased the app, and until weā€™re able to have the new build reviewed and approved by the App Store team, there is no way to avoid or prevent the app from shutting down. (Reinstalling the app will not fix the problem until we are able to get the new build approved.)

We are ashamed and incredibly sorry that this has happened.

Weā€™ll make the update available as soon as weā€™re able to do so - at no charge, of course - to everyone whoā€™s purchased the app. Until that happens, product searches on the App Store will not find OmniFocus 2, but anyone that has already bought it can use the ā€œPurchasesā€ tab in the app store to verify that it is still available to their iTunes account.

We do not yet know when Appleā€™s team will be able to review and approve the new build; for the time being, using OmniFocus for iPhone or v1 of OmniFocus for iPad (if youā€™ve already purchased it) appear to be the best options.

This support article will help you re-install v1 of OmniFocus for iPad if you own it:
http://support.omnigroup.com/update-app-which-is-no-longer-sold

If you have any questions, let me know and Iā€™ll be happy to help. Again, from all of us here: we are so, so sorry.

Sincerely,

Brian C.
Support Manager
Omni Group