OF1 to OF2 Pro: is anything broken?

I upgraded to OmniOutliner prematurely, and found that while the application looks awesome, sorting is broken. (e.g.: items with no date show up above items with today’s date when sorting by date.) This was acknowledged as a bug by Omni, but months later, it still has not been fixed. I imagine that the reason is that not many people are concerned about that issue.

I love both OO and OF, and my whole life is largely organized around them. Before upgrading to OF2 Pro, I thought I’d ask: is anything broken? Are there things you did in OF1 that are no longer possible in OF2 Pro? In short: should I wait?

Thanks in advance for any info.

You can do a quick peek on the earliest posts in the OmniFocus 2 for Mac forums to see what folks were missing.

I think the biggest feature that was missed was having tasks appear on one line. There is an experimental version that can be turned on by typing a URL into Safari. A more refined version should be coming in the near future. The ability to show or hide columns is missing too. But the extra columns can be accessed in the right side inspector panel. I’ve found the new inspector panel nicer to use over the floating windows palette.

Another feature not implemented was having themes to customise the look of OmniFocus. I think this is still being debated about how to implement into OmniFocus 2.

I’ve switched completely over to OmniFocus 2 now. It did take a while to get used to it. It was a matter of finding out where all the features were relocated. The forecast view, better Review interface, the new right side inspector, and a new perspectives editor feels smoother now.

You can always download the trial version for 14 days and test-drive OmniFocus 2. You can run both OmniFocus 1 and OmniFocus 2 concurrently without worries. Using the Omni Sync Server to seamlessly sync data between both versions.

1 Like

The most annoying bug is that you cannot show the inbox in any of your projects. It is REALLY easy to forget you have an inbox and process it.

There are ways of overcoming that, as for example, Sven Fechner describes on this post.