OF2 to Outlook 2015

Could someone please share how to trigger this script in Outlook 15 (2016)? Thanks!

I use Launchbar. Save the script into a folder that Launchbar indexes, then you can just use the cmd-space shortcut and invoke it by starting to type the name youā€™ve give the script.

Is anyone else having trouble running this script? It used to work for a while but no longer. No error message, but nothing happens. Iā€™m using Alfred app to trigger the script. Is there a way I can run a debugger or somehow troubleshoot the issue? Iā€™m not familiar with Script Editor but having trouble running it in there (to try to debug) while having a message in Outlook selected.

Iā€™m using OmniFocus Pro v2.2.3 and Outlook v15.12.3.

-Dan

Iā€™m having trouble with this, too. Sometimes it fires (using Keyboard Maestro), but often nothing happens.

This usually happens when one of the following is true:

• Calendar alerts is showing (warning popup should appear)
  • More than one main window is open

Try to run the script from AppleScript Editor and see if it throws an error in there.

Just note that I put together a little custom URL handler for use with Outlook similar to the old LuMe96:// style handler. This one uses outlook:// style URLs with the message id. Check it out here

I also updated the Omnifocus-to-Outlook script. You can now set attachMailToOFTask to 3 in order to add outlook://style links in your task.

Best wishes,
Thomas

Thank you, Thomas for your update. Iā€™m trying it now with the new outlook:// style links and itā€™s working great (with Alfred launching it).

In the past I had troubles getting it to launch even after quitting and restarting Outlook (with no calendar alerts present). I was having trouble replicating that consistently though and the last several times it has worked perfectly. Iā€™ll let you know if I start having troubles again and if AppleScript Editor works then or not.

Thanks again,

• Dan

Hi Thomas, great updated script! Thank you.
If it helps people with multiple exchange accounts in Outlook, you need to indicate which account the msg is moved to:

set theAccount to account of theMessage 
set category of theMessage to category "Omnifocus"
move theMessage to folder moveMailToFolderName of theAccount

One thing I also noticed. When I was using Rainerā€™s script in Outlook 2011, the script would work when a message was ā€œOpenā€ in its own window. The new one just doesnā€™t do anything then, I am not sure how the previous behavior can be restored ā€“ it was very handy (for example, when sending a msg for which a follow-up action would be required to be tracked in Omnifocus) :-).

Thank you for your work in offering this to everyone. Are there any detailed instructions anywhere explaining how to get this working? I now have things partly working in Outlook 2015 (I switched back to Mail for a while, but that now crashes frequently for me). I can use a keyboard shortcut via Keyboard Maestro to being up the dialog window, and it saves my task to OmniFocus. When I click on the link in the task, though, it opens a seemingly random Outlook contact card, as opposed to the desired mail message. I have installed the OutlookURLHandler.app as well as the Outlook to OmniFocus script. Iā€™m not sure if they have to be placed in a particular folder any longer or not, or if there is some other setting Iā€™m missing. Thanks for any help.

Update to last message: when I switch attachMailToOFTask to ā€œ2,ā€ things work fine. The default (ā€œ3ā€) is where Iā€™m running into problems. I do have OutlookURLHandler.app installed and have launched it.

Cool, thanks for the hint. This is fixed now (except for the Category - I think this is somewhat special to your use-case and I donā€™t want everybody ending up w/ an ā€œOmniFocusā€ category) ā€¦

Hi Evan,

sorry this is causing trouble for you. I have noticed that through the last updates of Outlook they seem to have changed the message move process so that the file along with the message id gets recreated on move, even between folders of the same account :-(

So, please do not use the outlook:// style links for now as they will brake message links when you have moved an email.

I have looked into other possibilities (creating own metadata, hooking up to other md fields) but nothing seems to work. The only option seems to be to wait and pray for Microsoft to fix this ā€¦

Best wishes,
Thomas

Thanks, Thomas. The regular type links seem to be working fine. Thanks for making this available.

Hi, when I run the script I get ā€œExpected ā€œthenā€, etc. but found class name.ā€ on the line " if class of theMessage is calendar event then" with ā€œeventā€ highlighted. Any ideas?

Anyone having issues running the script when Outlook is in fullscreen mode? It works when it is not.

Itā€™s broken for me as well in full-screen. Have you tried disabling the quick-entry window in the script? If this works we might be able to add a hook to automatically send it to OF Inbox if Outlook is in Fullscreen mode ā€¦

To all those requesting a step-by-step guide on implementing this:

Holy crap, this is stupid easy. (And I donā€™t say that to make you feel bad, but to express precisely my own reaction after following exactly what others have suggested in various parts of this thread, and implementing this tool to perfect success with ridiculous ease.) I too thought that using something like this would require advanced knowledge of whatā€™s going on in the script itself. I too was dreading trying to figure this out, assuming I would have to do some of my own scripting (which I am not very good atā€¦yet.)

But I didnā€™t have to know/do any of that. Iā€¦

1. Downloaded Thomasā€™s script
  2. Downloaded and launched BetterTouchTool (which I will be happily paying for promptly!)
  3. Selected ā€œKeyboardā€ in the black bar in BTT
  4. Specified Outlook as an application on the left
  5. Created a keyboard shortcut on the bottom
  6. From ā€œTrigger Predefined Actionā€ searched ā€œscriptā€ and selected ā€œOpen Application / File / Apple Scriptā€ and selected Thomasā€™s script
  7. Went to Outlook v15 and tested my keyboard shortcut to great satisfaction

Iā€™m running Parallels Desktop 10 and Iā€™m experiencing an issue where when I run this script when Outlook for Mac is open, the script wants to run my virtual machine and launch Outlook 2016 for Windows on that every time. The script still works, but is a pain always launching the VM upon every use.

Even when I donā€™t have Parallels open, the script still launches the VM and Outlook for Windows.

I think the issue could be with the line in the code:

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"

Is there any way to make that more specific so it references Microsoft Outlook.app specifically? Or even more generally, is there a way to stop it from opening the Windows version of Outlook?