OF3 - OmniFocus standard style has dark sidebar

Hi,

new tester of OF3, just installed build 316938 and have immediately noticed that the left sidebar has a dark theme, in spite of the fact that I have the default white theme selected.

Is this by design? How come a white theme would have such a large portion of the screen with dark background?

Or is there a setting that I am missing and the color scheme for the sidebar can be independently changed?

Many thanks,

Luca

3 Likes

This is by design, personally I find it quite helpful as it focuses my eyes on my tasks, but a lot of people don’t feel that way. Ken said on Twitter that a light sidebar option will be coming later:

2 Likes

Thanks Rosemary, looks like this was a very recent discussion too!

Also, looks like we are stuck with it for 3.0…

Bye, Luca

I installed OF3 today, and I found the dark sidebar disappointing. Several of my perspectives icons are now impossible to see or look hideous. Everything was designed for a light theme (because I really dislike dark themes).

I can’t wait for this eyesore to be corrected in 3.1.

3 Likes

Oh thank God. You have to focus on your tasks, because you can’t see the projects :-). Seriously, white on black is terrible for eye strain.

Hopefully 3.1 comes VERY soon. Or a plea - 3.0.1 with a standard sidebar so we don’t have to wait that long?

If it’s going to be a while, is downgrading an option?

1 Like

It’s easy to imagine how the discussion went.

“Nobody likes us anymore: all the cool kids are using Things, and ooh-ing and ah-ing over how pretty it is. Everyone says OF2 looks stale.”

“No problem! All the cool apps have a black side bar, so we’ll have two! Perspective icon column and project/context column!”

“Um, but OF2 makes the background of the selected perspective icon the same colour as the the background of the project/context column, so people can easily see which perspective they’ve chosen.”

“No problem! We’ll just make the two OF3 columns different shades of black!”

“Uh, I don’t think… Never mind. What about about accessibility? It’s not that easy to distinguish between two ‘different shades of black’”

“No problem! We’ll just put the name of the chosen perspective in huge coloured text at the top of the actual content area. And since we no longer support theming, no one will be able to get rid of it.”

“We no longer support theming? When did that happen?”

OF3 is an eyesore. :-(

1 Like

“‘It’s the wild colour scheme that freaks me out,’ said Zaphod, whose love affair with the ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight. 'Every time you try and operate these weird black controls that are labeled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up in black to let you know you’ve done it.’”

Ha! Now where’s my towel?

1 Like