Ofexport and OmniFocus2

Just creating a place on this forum to answer a question about this:

pattulus asks:

"Anyone got this running with the latest OF2 beta?"

Yes - tried it for the first time just now.

It looks like OF2 has a new place to put it’s database. By editing the ofexport.json file and adding a new first entry to the db_search_path, it can be made to find this first:

"/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2/Data/Library/Caches/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2/OmniFocusDatabase2",

For the few examples I’ve tried it has worked perfectly HOWEVER remember that ofexport uses Omni’s proprietary undocumented database based on what I found by inspecting it in OF1, even if it works perfectly now it could break at any moment.

If you don’t want to be quite so bleeding edge, leave ofexport to sync with OF1 but spin up and sync OF1 before you use ofexport.

This is AWESOME! Thanks so much for getting this working so quickly. Works great for me.

No problem :-)

Any idea how to get this working if the database is on Omni Sync Server?

Edit: Never mind. I now see this script works from the cache. I tried it and it worked just fine.

Thanks for your good work on this.

I love ofexport and have spent several days getting it to work (flagged tasks appear via GeekTool on desktop) but I CANNOT make Hazel update. This last effort shows psidnell suggested Hazel configuration w a shell script I wrote (I don’t know what I’m doing there really) which is meant to execute the Terminal command (ofexport -E --tasks -a flatten -a done=any -I -t “flagged” -T flat -o erflagged67.taskpaper) I use to create ofexport output. (This does work). Anyway I’m lost at sea and still need to manually update the output… see JPG for Hazel rules

It’s quite confusing working out what environment hazel scripts run in.

It looks (from the times) like you have seen this, these are still the settings I use.

Does hazel “think” the file has been updated (select the folder in the Hazel pref pane and click the eye) and that the rule needs 5 mins after a change?

I’m retiring ofexport in favour of a completely rewritten ofexport2 here.

The new one is written in Java (my day job) and uses open source expression and template libraries, so should be more flexible and extensible than the previous version.

If you’re interested in writing your own export formats (templates are written with FreeMarker) then this may be useful.

I’m leaving the original (Python) version in place and there are several forks of it for those interested.

If you’re already using the existing version you can install the new version without affecting it.

As ever, let me know if you find any bugs.

1 Like

Just finished the documentation over on GitHub:

https://github.com/psidnell/ofexport2/blob/master/README.md
2 Likes

This is really excellent work. Thanks so much for 1) making it, and 2) making it so consumable for others. Really appreciate the time that you put in to it for the benefit of us.

I’ve just skimmed it and it looks great.