Omni Automation "Task Date Controls" plug-in failing

This is a great set of tools, but it seems to take note of “today” when OmniFocus launches, and doesn’t notice when the calendar rolls to subsequent days. It thinks today’s the same date as when it launched.

For example, today’s May 9. If I click the Defer +1 day button in the info panel, it sets May 10. But if I clear that date and use the plug-in to defer to tomorrow, it sets May 7!

I quit OmniFocus and tried the plug-in again after restarting, and it correctly set “defer to tomorrow” as May 10.

Any idea what’s wrong?

Thanks,
Russell

I don’t know that specific plug-in. FWIW, you could try using this one and see if it fits your needs.

Thanks. I downloaded the OmniJS-Automation-master folder and linked to it. However, everything in the defer list is grayed out, except for 5pm (Today)–and when I select it nothing happens, and all in the due list is grayed out.

What might I be doing wrong?

Regards,
Russell

The plug-in only works if and only if every selected task has a due date. Otherwise, it is grayed out. Does it match your use case ?

That was it. So it can change existing defer and due dates, but it can’t assign them if the fields are blank?

That’s right.

Well, it is not immediately clear what should happen when adding, let’s say, 1 day to an undefined date. Do you have a personal preference ? I could look into it.

Thanks for the quick response. I was thinking if there was no date, +1 day would make it tomorrow. +1 week a week from today. “Today” would set 5pm today. (as I said, even though it’s not grayed out on my system, it doesn’t turn a blank field into 5pm today.

Thus, if the field was blank, it would count from today’s date.

So that way, the plug-in could be used to set dates with keystrokes (or Stream Deck) as you’re processing the inbox. Seems that would double its usefulness!

Have a great rest of your day. We had snow on the ground (briefly) here in northern Colorado!

Best,
Russell

Thank you for catching the bug ! Just fixed in the repository.

I will look into it.

Hope you are very well, there ! Thank you.

I completely rewrote the plug-in to accomplish that goal. Could you test the option +1 day and tell me if it works for you ?

You’re getting there! Defer +1 day (and also 1 week, 1 month, today and tomorrow) works great on tasks with an empty Defer field. The weekend options are grayed out until something’s in the field.

It gives this error when I ask it to defer a project (instead of a task):

2021-05-12-2204-24

Best,
Russell

Thank you for catching that bug !

Just pushed an update. Does it work, now ?

I will default to today when doing the calculations in the next update.

I’ve just pushed an update. Those options are active even when the field is empty. Additionally, it takes into account your default time for defer dates setting.

Works great! Will you be giving Due Date the same functionality?

If you want to really complete the package, what about a “clear defer and/or due date”? Seems that would be pretty easy, compared to all the date calculations.

You’re very talented…

Regards,
Russell

I appreciate your kind comments.

Sure, will look into it tommorow.

Based on your request, just published this:

Beautiful!

I clicked your PayPal link to buy you a cup of coffee, and it went to a screen where I chose to pay by credit card. After entering the card info, I clicked the “Donate Now” button at the bottom and it demanded I Create a PayPal account," wanting me to create and confirm a password.

I already have a PayPal account and don’t want another, and I couldn’t find anywhere to login. Do you know how this works? I thought it I were paying with my credit card, and not with PayPal, it wouldn’t care if I had an account or not…

Best,
Russell

You’re very kind, @rbanks88 ! There are two buttons: “Donate with PayPal” and “Donate with Credit Card”. If you click the first one, you can login with your PayPal account. Doesn’t that match what you are seeing ?

By the way, I am going to add this to the repository.