I’m considering buying omnifocus2, but after analysis (being a staging tester also) I came to a conclusion that there is no even ONE big feature in omnifocus2. Can somebody prove me wrong?
Below you can find list of new features with my comments, taken from official materials:
- Forecast perspective to get a view of your actions laid out by date - We have it in omnifocus1, it’s just named “DUE” - gives me the same list of tasks (i can filter and manipulate etc).
- Quick Open, a way to jump right to a folder, project, context, or perspective - this is new, but let’s be honest - it is a SMALL feature.
- printing and export - it was already there - yes, printouts looked different, but first it just a small difference, and second, when did you last print something? Come on…
And nothing else. Zero.
Pro version is even more ‘not worth to upgrade’:
4. focus - was there in omnifocus1
5. custom perspectives - I’m able to define and name my own views
6. applescript - you guessed it - it was in omnifocus1
So yes, there are small changes. But almost everything is already in omnifocus1, and everything important is in omnifocus1. This release scope is much smaller than e.g. windows 8.1 to windows 8, or mavericks to mountain lion difference. It should be done without all this trumpet blowing and definitely for free.
One more Big thing: omnifocus2 is substantially SLOWER than omnifocus1. For hardcore geeks, with 200+ projects, omnifocus2 is a nogo.
*) Yes I know that omnifocus2 looks different, but it’s a question of taste if better or not, and let be honest, it’s not a big change. In fact there are serious design mistakes in omnifocus2 (calendar issue).