OmniFocus 4 First Look & Invitation to Help Test

Yes. THIS. It drives me crazy… When trying to view all tasks tagged with a particular tag, the UI gets cluttered with all these these other tags that I don’t need to see. It is not so bad on desktop, but on the iPhone or iPad it is infuriating. It seems so fundamental that you should be able to create a perspective to display tasks with a particular tag, listed in tag order. I’m always surprised that this hasn’t been fixed yet because anyone who uses a lot of tags is likely to encounter the issue. I’ve been waiting for a fix since OF3 was released. PLEASE fix this in OF4.

Thanks Tim, unfortunately I have tried these and every single workaround I can think of but none of them are ideal. A way to create tasks that repeat based on a specific time seems like the best solution. Your suggestion about hiding tags does not solve the issue. If you look at the attached images, I you can see the Perspective settings and what it ends up displaying. It should only display tagged “Ritual (Afternoon)” but it ends up including all these other tags that you are unable to exclude.

Thanks for sharing your comments @saltedlolly.

Turning off “Show tags” will only hide the tags for the actual tasks. Is it essential to group actions by tags? If you haven’t already, perhaps try another grouping (or just leave this perspective ungrouped).

The problem is is that if you don’t group by tag, it is not possible to manually reorder the tasks. (at least I have not found a way to do it.) They seem to be appear in some arbitrary order.

@saltedlolly — If you set “Group actions by” to “Ungrouped”, you can using the “Sort actions by” setting to control the sort order of the ungrouped list. Though without the tag group(s), it isn’t possible to manually order actions within the custom perspective.

I use this workaround from Rosemary

https://rosemaryorchard.com/blog/using-keyboard-maestro-to-create-an-always-up-to-date-task-calendar-from-my-omnifocus/

So the due dates can be wrong on my Iphone and Ipad for a little while but when I run my calendar app on my mac (usually everyday) it gets back on track.

I’m testing 4 on the iPhone and have to chime in, I’m really, really not crazy with the new Forecast look. The old iOS Forecast gave a gorgeous top summary with a mini calendar bar and this has been changed to a filter now. It definitely isn’t as succinct as the old version. And, the new version counts your ‘total’ summary of the day; i.e. if your settings are to show the tagged calls for a day, that’s now in the count, PLUS your tasks. That’s a big change. Or a bug :)

Since I live essentially in the Forecast module, changes there jump out to me more readily.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.