I have been looking at using kanban board for personal use and was thinking about incorporating it into my OmniFocus workflow.
I looked online and found a few options for extracting OmniFocus data and creating a kanban board view, but I wasn’t interested in that. I wanted to view the data in OmniFocus.
So after noodling around with the idea for a little while, I decided on a workflow (supported by a few OmniFocus automation scripts) that works for me. Hopefully, this would help anyone else who’s been thinking about doing starting a kanban board.
I’ve done a full write up on my blog - it has screenshots and also has the download links for the automation bundles I created - but I’ve tried to summaries the pertinent points below:
- I use tags to denote when a task was in “To Do”, “In Progress”, “Waiting” or “Done”. (I’m not a programmer, so I replaced “Testing” with “Waiting”)
- I created Perspectives for each of the tags and load them up using Keyboard Maestro to open up multiple instances of OmniFocus and arrange them in columns so I get the “kanban view”.
- Alternatively, I go into Tags view and select the four tags to show the tasks in a “Top-to-Bottom” view (instead of Left-to-Right)
- I created OmniFocus automation scripts to quickly move my items through the different “columns” of the kanban board
- I put the scripts in the OmniFocus toolbar for easy access (I’ve included individual icons for each script)
Let me know what you think.