OmniFocus how to automate UI start-up config?

Hello. Every time I open Omnifocus on my Mac, I manually configure the UI as follows:

1. View > Show Tab Bar
  2. Create one tab for each of my first four starred Perspectives (Inbox, Review, Forecast, Projects)
  3. Create a tab for “Search”

I’m sure there has to be a way to automate this to happen when I launch OF. I’d appreciate any pointers! and thanks

I’d write an AppleScript, save it as an application, give it the OF icon and use it as your method of launching OF.

The script would contain:
For search, I’d set the the first window to Inbox or something else “minimal”.

Then one “make new doc window” for each of your perspectives.

tell application "OmniFocus"
	tell default document
		make new document window with properties {perspective name:perName} at end of document windows
		activate
	end tell
end tell

Unless this isn’t the default and I set something way back when, I don’t need to manually show the tab bar. By opening multiple tabs, it appears automatically.

Standard disclaimer: I’m rocking OF v2

1 Like

I use the concept of contextual computing meaning the applications and views/ perspectives change for what I am doing and depending on how much monitors or which devices are connected to my Macbook. For example, for Reveille proces I need a different perspective than for Meeting preparation or for email processing etc.

On the Mac, Keyboard Maestro came to the rescue. On iPhone and iPad some Shortcuts.

I have made a little blogpost of this concept with some videos and links to Keyboard Maestro macro’s which you can find here.

1 Like

Hmm. I also have 3 tabs and two windows that I use with Omnifocus, and they just come up automatically whenever I open the application. I have one window with three open tabs - Inbox, Forecast, and Projects, and a 2nd window that shows my inbox again, which I display on a separate desktop alongside my personal calendar and email so I don’t need to switch between desktops. I’ve never had an issue with any of that disappearing when I close the app or restart my Mac.

1 Like

Thanks JohnV! Your setup is very similar to what I’m trying to accomplish. For me, every time I restart Omnifocus (3.11.4) it resets to a single window, single tab, single perspective. I’ve perused the settings but can’t find a way to remember and restart in the same config as last use.

I tried to see if there was a setting I had clicked to make this happen, but there doesn’t seem to be one in the OmniFocus settings. It just works that way. I’m running the same version you are.

The only thing I can think of is that it’s using a system setting. In System Preferences / General, do you have the ‘close windows when quitting an app’ box checked? I don’t, so my Mac remembers the open windows in all my apps whenever I reopen them. Try that?

1 Like

JohnV, that was it! Thank you!

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.