Omnifocus vs 2Do

I agree 2do on iPad is frankly better looking than OF however the Mac version is definitely NOT.

I am not sure why you think 2do is little discussed it has been the flavour of the month for quite a while amongst the trendy, and there are numerous reviews and praise for what is one hell of a good programme for an indie developer.

However it has failings, 1) no back up/archiving, so no way to trim down the current database without mass deletion. 2) the Mac app feels very unprofessional compared To OF and badly needs some love. 3) no URL schemes, so automation possibilities are limited, also no AppleScript support.

A while ago I jumped on the trendy bandwagon and moved everything to 2do, but after a while I came back to Omnifocus for the reasons above. Both are good, they probably require different mindsets, but choice can never be a bad thing.

A big +1 for 2do iPad app, if the two systems were compatable I would have OF on OSX and 2do on iPad but that is not an option, so as much as I would like to support indie devs, in this case OF is just better (for me).

3 Likes

For the matter of being not much discussed that is probably my fault, as I didn’t really stumble on 2Do a year back when I was looking for a Taskmanager. I was pretty much relying on reviews and people’s personal opinion, definitely also the great support the Omnigroup and members/users provide.

I guess I feel a little mad at myself for not choosing a software that I’ve worked for say 4 weeks and decided I either love it or not. I tell myself that I just didn’t have the time to work myself through 5 different TMs 4 weeks each, which in part is certainly true.

What I want to express is the impression that the team behind OF should be aware that there are alternatives out there that have a strong will to put effort into a LOT of thinking about look and feel. Which OF2 in my opinion lacks a lot. The iOS version of 2Do actually shows what’s possible… And yes, the difference between the macOS version of 2Do and OF2 is for sure not even close as big as the iOS versions and might even come down to just “taste”. I’m not sure what you mean by “unprofessional” or “needs some love”, though (but that’s “taste” I guess). What I found weird is that - as a Mac exclusive program - I had to ask for Helvetica Neue as font type (which I actually got quickly - again GREAT support, no doubt in that) and I had to download icons that I could effectively use for perspectives…

The problem for me is: I paid a LOT for OF2 on iPhone, iPad and iMac (I also bought OmniPlan btw which I really like and there’s no alternative for me). I GOT a lot for that but I can’t help to think that all the support, extensions, even little extension software like “clip-o-tron” actually speak for the fact that OF2 in itself causes friction despite being incredibly complex, lacking quite some (innovative?) functions that could be implemented in the software. Now I’m not saying that 2Do has everything (I need) directly on board, but without doubt it is updated way more regularly and sometimes in a really big way (like the old compared to the new GUI) - which is even more amazing being handled by an “indie” developer and that those upgrades have been for free (!). Upgrades in OmniGroup software usually cost quite some money, and the fact that e.g. OF is upgraded only every x years or so doesn’t justify that difference.

You are right about the failings - and for some people that is important (e.g. AppleScript implementation). However, again, that distracts from the softwares’ own core (!) construct, which to me seems a little outdated. And also, frankly the innovations incorporated in OF2 vs. 2Do itself (not automation, not aided by AppleScript) are in my opinion on a different level. I find the possibility to “attach” functions like phone calls or google searches and the iPad interface using e.g. tags accessible with one swipe substantially more innovative than “forecast” and “review”. And I want to add that I’m solely talking about innovative potential - I personally don’t see me using the “action attachment” in 2Do often and on the other hand I really like the review option in OF2.
I would just find it sad if OmniFocus would someday be history because the expectations the users have are steering in a different direction (as of course I feel a commitment to OF and its developers having used it heavily for a year or so, getting me through incredibly busy times).
You call it “trendy bandwagon” - I call it future - and some people are already jumping and staying.

And don’t get me wrong: the reason I write this is exactly BECAUSE of my commitment to OF. As I know developers care and are depending on actually getting peoples opinion. Yes, it’s great that there is such a variety of Taskmanagers out there, but I ultimately do not believe that they all will remain co-existing.

I think the thing is we all have different needs, as mainly maker of websites I live on my mac, and as much as I love my iPad pro, for what I get paid for I need to work on the mac and here 2do is just not as good. For me attaching functions like a phone call just waste my time, I can open a contact in launchbar when I need it far quicker than it takes me to fiddle about adding it to 2do in the first place.

I really wanted to love 2do, and on the iPad I really did, and I even considered doing all my task management on the iPad for a while because of it.

I think 2do is a “trendy bandwagon” certainly among the design/code community as are other apps, that’s human nature to see out the new (and boldly go where no one has gone before), however ask most hard core mangers of tasks or projects and you will find they use OF overwhelmingly. Why? because it is stable, reliable, well funded and “corporate” probably just the reasons “the cool kids” prefer something else.

I actually subscribe to the view that tagging is a rabbit warren, I have sporadically tried tagging, and have learned one thing. discipline + minimalism is the only way to make it work and nothing is more minimal than one tag/context.

One thing I loved in 2do was their mail drop, a lot better implementation than Omni’s but two companies at the top of their game can only drive innovation from both and that is good for us.

One worry with 2do, as you stated it has been offering free upgrades for years, now to sustain a proper business going forward that can not last, at present I am guessing the spurt of interest in 2do has swelled the R&D coffers but the problem with an app being the flavour of the month it never lasts, the “cool kids” move on, and what was todays news is tomorrows wrapping paper. Just a thought.

“One worry with 2do, as you stated it has been offering free upgrades for years, now to sustain a proper business going forward that can not last, at present I am guessing the spurt of interest in 2do has swelled the R&D coffers but the problem with an app being the flavour of the month it never lasts, the “cool kids” move on, and what was todays news is tomorrows wrapping paper. Just a thought.” VERY good thought, will think about … have to leave to a meeting (2Do is telling :D).
Fun to discuss with you, hope you feel a little bit the same.
To my person I use it in academics, I have a research team but also have lectures… so lots of “powerapps” needed (includ Fantastical 2 and Airmail 3). Talk to you later if you want.

May offer a thought here (having started with OF 1 many years ago and gone in a big circle around nearly all the others, including 2Do and now happy;y back with OF 2): that OF is both the most robust/best supported task management system; and the most fully-featured?

That the first aspect is crucial is self-evident (I didn’t always get quick or solution-rich replies from the producers of 2Do, for example).

Almost whatever you want to do with OF, there is a way to do it; that also counts for a great deal.

Mark, I agree but if getting the best support and that you virtually can do anything (which is not true so easily) means that I have to use an inapproachable GUI, Mark, I would have picked LINUX and Trello in that respect.

It still surprises me that one limitation in 2Do isn’t mentioned more often. If I remember correctly, you could only have one level of projects in 2Do. That made me immediately lose my interest in the product.

Michael,

I agree about having a pleasing interface - especially at this stage in the game!

Though I don’t find that of OF all that bad :-)

But 2Do ruled itself out for me - after about a year and a half’s daily use - when I was unable to move items around in projects (they kept ‘de-childing’ themselves, becoming projects in their own right!) and support was patchy… however well-meaning, repossess often had to be squeezed out of the developer after several days of silence.

I don’t doubt their integrity or enthusiasm for the product. But it became unreliable. Omni is a big group well able to update, innovate and make products that really do all I want.

It’s great to have a large selection of task managers. It’s really a personal choice - there is no right or wrong.

My experience: I’ve experimented with Things, 2Do, Todo and Toodledo over the years but I keep coming back to OmniFocus. Aside from being my personal preference, I believe Omni has a few unique things going for it:

• They are a longstanding, profitable and stable company

• They have top notch, friendly and knowledgable technical support (other companies could learn a thing or two from Omni)

• They are not a single person team. Nothing against solo devs, I have high respect for these folks. The concern is: if that sole proprietor decides to never update, or discontinue their software due to many reasons (financial, health, other jobs, etc).

• They publish their street address, telephone numbers and heck, their CEO, Ken Case, responds personally to incoming tweets and email. They don’t hide behind a single “contact us” form.

• They provide a built-in mechanism to export/backup your data! Some other task managers (ie Things, Todo) want you to put all your data in their cloud and trust it. This makes me uneasy.

… and most importantly (to me):

• They aren’t for sale

To quote their About Us page:

“A quick growth, buy-out culture works for some, but doesn’t fit our philosophy of long-term support for our customers.”

How many popular iOS apps have sold out to tech giants only to be discontinued? I believe, based on following Omni for years, they are not out to sell everything off to Microsoft to make a quick buck. They are truly in this for the long haul and want to make the best products possible.

This was further evident to me earlier this year when a Twitter user asked Ken why Omni doesn’t support Dropbox as a sync method for OmniOutliner. Ken’s answer: “our goal is to make sure that OmniOutliner can still sync in 2026. With OmniPresence, that’s guaranteed. Not so with Dropbox”. In OmniFocus’ case think WebDAV. This illustrates they are forward thinking and want to ensure everything they do is as future-proof as possible.

For what it’s worth I am not affiliated with Omni in any way, just a fan of the company and their great products :-)

Anyhow that’s my experience. Great thread!

Darren

4 Likes

Well yes they are a longstanding company, I also think they make significant more money than the guy behind 2Do… But needless to say, a larger company needs to earn more money. OF2 and Omniplan are there biggest players.

You fear that 2Do can just be discontinued? As I perceive it there are more complex changes over the time, making the product better and better, and especially adapt to the needs of the nowadays customers; building a way more flexible and intelligent e.g. iOS system, as more and more people use larger screens on mobile devices. While OF2 honestly looks not good on either the iPhone nor the iPad and still I even got to pay for both versions?!

Well yes the support is better at OmniGroup, no doubt. And even the CEO replies, if he has time.
And there are many many boards to talk about how to do that and how to fix that. But again, this is NOT about the core technology of the software, it is more about masking the undeniable friction OF causes, which I could experience myself for the year that I was using OF2.
Fearing that the cloud backup of 2Do might be compromised is pure speculation and is no HARD argument. And what the company writes on their website… Common, the will to not e.g. sell to another company is one thing, but why no doubt here, but for the cloud?
I could argue that some single person that has close to genious ideas about HIS software and updates it boldly would not sell.
There is just no winning point here :)
BUT I stick to my opinion that OF has to change its usability or I am not sure they will survive in the hard competition that is out there…

Just to be clear i’m not trying to make any “winning points”, just sharing my experience and observations. As I said it’s all comes down to personal choice. OF isn’t for everyone. Use and enjoy whatever software fits the bill for YOU.

Hey me neither! I find it just exciting to freely talk about it, again sth that I really, really like about OF: its forums :)

That is an interesting point about health, I will ask him. Do you have his email address?
Thought more about that fact: IF the developer of 2Do becomes sick or - God forbid - dies then a) the software will still be functional as it does not rely on a 2Do specific server (rather e.g. Dropbox), b) you may jump to another app, which people are doing all the time without being forced by disappearing companies and/or c) this guy HAS actually a plan for that and the software will stay available and receive updates by another person or company…

Another point about larger companies being “safer”… Wuala is such an example, just vanished… was much bigger than 2Do could ever be.

Jan, That is not correct (“one level of projects in 2Do”). In 2Do - and that might be a little bit confusing at the very beginning - everything starts with “lists” and you can actually group lists, so you’ll have already two “levels”. Then you have “projects” under one list; those projects can be split into tasks, and those tasks can be split into sub-tasks.
I guess that is quite enough…? That is probably the reason why people don’t mention that “limitation”.
And if that is not enough complexity for you (in OF2 you can create as much subfolders as you want if I’m correct): -I- personally find this much easier to deal with than a ONE tag only system in OF2, which they call “context”. I mean, it is possible (!) to use ONE context (tag) if necessary and with lots of thinking, but still don’t know exactly why they not at least give the customer the OPTION.

That is correct, @mkormann, there are more than one level totally in 2Do, which can make its hierachical limitations easier to accept. But lists are just lists, and can’t be used as projects (they don’t have the same features), and sub-tasks are (if I remember correctly) just sub-tasks in a separate window locked to a specific task and without individual features. If you accept those limitations, which they indeed are, 2Do might work as an alternative to Omnifocus. To me, it’s essential to have a flexible solution where folders, projects and tasks can be created and moved freely, without hierarchical limitations and without having to know from the beginning what to make of a new object. If, for example, a sub-task happen to require several steps, I could simply give it that, without sacrificing its place in my structure.

4 Likes

That makes sense, yes… In this case 2Do is limited and I agree, if you need that sub-task flexibility then OF2 is the better option!

I don’t want to make this discussion all about health. The only reason I included that word was due to an experience I had. I was a user of PocketMoney for iOS by Catamount Software and unfortunately the developer passed away. Thankfully he had the foresight to include an export function. The software sat stagnant for years, thankfully another person recent picked up it’s development.

The point I was trying to make - some products (Appigo Todo and Things for sure) do not offer any builtin method to export data. So, health aside, if you decide to move your data to another piece of software, your stuck if you want to transfer the data (without resorting to Applescript or another custom method). I see it as a bonus that OmniFocus can natively export to a workable format (CSV) if the user decides to go elsewhere in future.

mhm… yeah, I don’t even know if I can export from 2Do? By chance, do you know that?

2.x was able to but it was removed in 3.0. Not sure if they ever added it back.

http://2doapp.com/kb/article/can-i-export-my-tasks-as-csv-in-ios.html

mhmm… but I found out another thing: the “backups” done by 2Do are saved on the harddrive (of e.g. my iMac), not necessarily on a cloud.