OmniOutliner & Box Sync

For a sync solution, does OmniOutliner for iPad only work with OmniPresence?

I ask because instead of adding yet another application to my Mac for Cloud-based services, I’d prefer to use the existing Box Sync service that I already use if possible. Does OmniOutliner for iPad work with Box sync?

Thanks!

1 Like

No response so far? Hello? :-)

@chomni

OmniOutliner can sync with any standards-compliant WebDAV sync server, so Box Sync should work, as they say that they support WebDAV here:

It would still utilize OmniPresence, however, as OmniPresence is built-in to OmniOutliner for iPad to handle the internal syncing stuff that goes on ‘inside’ OmniOutliner on the iPad.

There’s more information on using OmniOutliner 2 for iPad with non-Omni sync servers in the online documentation here:

https://support.omnigroup.com/documentation/en/omnioutliner-4-for-mac-user-manual/getting-synced-with-omnipresence-and-omni-sync-server#keepingyourdataprivate

Hope this helps!
~Anne

Thanks, I took a quick glance at the online help link you provided and will go through it in more detail later.

It would be good if OmniOutliner had sync builtin the way that OmniFocus does. That way, I wouldn’t have to worry about running OmniPresence on any of the machines I run on. Essentially, the reason I would prefer using the Box WebDAV solution for OmniOutliner is because I already run Box on my three computers (two office computers and one home computer), along with Google Drive and Dropbox. To add a fourth sync solution seems crazy :-)

I will test and see what works best for me.

I am having trouble using OmniPresence with my Box enterprise account. I don’t know if it matters, but my Box enterprise account uses a Single-Sign-On (SSO) through Duke University (my employer).

According to Box:

Single Sign-On (SSO) is not supported via WebDAV. If SSO is required for account logins, you may use the Create External Password for WebDAV logins. The external password may be created in the Account Settings > Account tab > Create External Password

I have already set up an external password; this was previously done for other apps prior to OmniPresence.

When OmniPresence tests the server, it gives me this error:

We could not connect to your selected cloud location.

Unable to perform WebDAV operation.

The dav.box.com server returned “forbidden” (403) in response to a request to “MKCOL /dav/.com.omnigroup.OmniPresence”.

Could you advice?

Thanks!