Open Archive unavailable after upgrade to OmniFocus 3

I launched OmniFocus 3 for Mac for the first time and noticed that File > Open Archive is greyed out. Presumably, this is because OF 3 is looking in a different location for the archive. Is it possible to recover my old archive?

1 Like

Sure! The easiest way is to archive from OmniFocus 3, at which point OmniFocus should offer to copy the old archive over for you, if you have updated from OmniFocus 2 on the same Mac.

Alternately, you can search for Archive.ofocus to find the current location.

If you were using OmniFocus 2 before, by default, the archive is located at ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨username ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Containers⁩ ▸ ⁨com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2 ▸ ⁨Data⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨OmniFocus⁩.

Put a copy of the older local archive into ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨username ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Containers⁩ ▸ ⁨com.omnigroup.OmniFocus3⁩ ▸ ⁨Data⁩ ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Application Support⁩ ▸ ⁨OmniFocus⁩.

Thanks,
Lanette

2 Likes

This is what you want to do. Rooting around in the OmniFocus container shouldn’t be necessary.

3 Likes

Perfect! Nearly 11 years of data in that archive. 🤓

1 Like

You forgot to add the disclaimer … shouldn’t be necessary when OF had a decent way to “Move Project to Archive”.

I did muck about in the OF container precisely because I dislike the current archiving method.

Now, I cannot get the Archive to accept a copy + paste operation (my preferred MO). Is anyone else having this problem?

JJW