Opening a shortcut from an OmniFocus task

Not directly an OmniFocus issue I guess, but I wonder if anyone can help.

I am trying to set up a way of opening my Quick Notes folder from within a task in OmniFocus as part of an evening review. I renamed the shortcut in case the space in the name was an issue, the shortcut runs fine from Shortcuts, but when I try to run the shortcut from the url in the OmniFocus task notes field I keep getting this error message.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Euan

You can open the Notes shortcut using the following URL.

shortcuts://open-shortcut?name=Notes

Though, it sounds like you want to run the shortcut. In that case, you would use this URL:

shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=Notes

If you want to run a shortcut that contains characters that can’t be used within a URL (e.g. a space or square bracket), you can use URL encoding (aka percent-encoding).

For example, if you wanted to run a shortcut called “Open Important Notes,” you would substitute %20 for the spaces:

shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=Open%20Important%20Notes

I hope this helps!

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks, as ever, for taking the time to answer this, Tim. The example, on the Apple support page had square brackets. I thought I had tried without them, but obviously not.

Cheers

Euan.

1 Like

You’re very welcome, @euan.

I think this is the Apple Support page you’re referring to:

The syntax Apple provides for running a shortcut using a URL scheme is:

shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=[name]&input=[input]&text=[text]

In this case, [name], [input] and [text] are placeholders for the actual values. It’s important to replace the complete placeholder (e.g. “[name]” with “Notes”). In other words, the square brackets are part of the placeholder and are not intended to be included in the URL.

1 Like