OS X Yosemite Beta Program, OmniFocus 2, and You [Fixed in Yosemite GM and OmniFocus 2.0.3]

Hello all! I know that many of you are excited about the upcoming public beta of OS X 10.10 “Yosemite,” due out on Thursday, July 24. We’re right there with you – Yosemite is looking like a great evolution of the OS X line, and we’re thrilled to see what we can do with it.

That said, please keep in mind that the Yosemite beta program offers access to unreleased and unfinished software. As the beta program continues, you may find that OmniFocus 2 for Mac doesn’t play as well with Yosemite as you’d like, or that new releases of Yosemite interact with OmniFocus in unexpected ways (or vice versa).

While we’re working hard to keep OmniFocus 2 in shape for Yosemite’s release and beyond, there are bound to be a few features that don’t work quite right on current versions of Yosemite. The issues we know about are listed below.

As always, the best way to report a compatibility issue with Yosemite is to get in touch with us directly, either through email or by using the “Contact Omni” feature in the Help menu of OmniFocus 2. Thanks for using OmniFocus!

OmniFocus 2 on Yosemite – Known Issues

• Clip-o-Tron 3001: Apple Mail will reject the Clip-o-Tron 3001’s installed plugin at launch. Clipping from Mail is currently limited to plain text selections – it is not possible to clip entire messages.
  • Perspectives: Custom icons added to perspectives will not persist after restarting OmniFocus.
  • General: Bits and pieces of the toolbar may appear under other transparent content elsewhere in the OmniFocus window. Restarting OmniFocus may clear up the UI temporarily.
  • Sidebar: The icons in perspective tabs may be left-aligned instead of centered.
15 Likes

Thanks for this valuable info.

1 Like

I for one would really like to see the Clip-o-Tron functionality fully restored. It’s only half working in OF2 (it works but you need OF1 to install it) but it’s mostly broken in Yosemite. This is my most used feature of OF, it’s useless to me without a working clip-o-tron.

In OmniFocus 1 the Clip-o-Tron 3000 could be installed from OmniFocus Preferences, but due to new OS X security features (sandboxing) a new solution was required for OmniFocus 2, so we came up with the Clip-o-Tron 3001, which is a separate download/install. For more information and step-by-step instructions check out this support article:

Clipping from Mail using the OmniFocus Clip-o-Tron
http://support.omnigroup.com/omnifocus-clip-o-tron/

6 Likes

when I try to install the Clipotron, I get “OmniMailMessageServiceEnabler.mailbundle” couldn’t be copied because you don’t have permission to access “Bundles”.

Any idea if this is something I can fix?

pixor, does your user account have administrator privileges?

You might get a more direct response by contacting omnifocus@omnigroup.com directly.

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: OmniFocus 1.x and OS X Yosemite

How can display OF actions in the new Notifications panel in OS X 10.10 Yosemite?

Start by looking in here

Hey there. Just checking in to see how the 'ol Clip-O-Tron is doing with Developer Preview 6. Is it still the case that Apple Mail doesn’t allow services to be attached to individual messages?

I am currently on beta 2 of OS X 10.10

I am using the latest version of OmniFocus for mac and I have noticed the following problems.

• any time I try to bring up the application help, the OmniFocus app crashes
  • I am unable to add a link in the notes section it just gives me a system sound then acts like I asked it to do nothing

Thanks for the great product, looking forward to seeing it improve.

Any more update on this? I would love to be able to help test out some way of using the Yosemite betas & OmniFocus 2 for Mac.

Todd

For what it’s worth, I’ve been running the Yosemite public beta and OF 2 for a few weeks now. I’ve seen minor UI issues as well as the custom perspective icon issue noted in the first post of this thread. Custom perspectives you already have will keep their custom icon, it’s just perspectives you make after you install Yosemite that will have the icon issue.

This isn’t to say you wouldn’t run into other issues, but it’s been pretty stable for me.

2 Likes

Quick update: Not sure if it’s due to the latest Yosemite update, but I added a new perspective today, along with a custom icon. Restarted OF and still have my custom icons. Before the latest Yosemite update the icons would reset to the default icon after an OF restart.

Now that the GM has been let lose upon the developer community, can we expect beta versions of OF2 to start including some support for Yosemite, specifically the Mail Clipping?

I make extensive use of Mail clippings to file email from my Inbox to my OF Inbox and then sort, prioritize, etc. It’s great because I can easily refer back to that e-mail (especially if I need to reply) due to the message link being included in the Notes field.

I’m hoping Mail Clipping as we’ve seen in Mavericks will be possible in Yosemite. If not, hope someone has a work-around or AppleScript that can accomplish something similar to what I’ve being doing in mavericks mail.

I think the Golden Master candidate was released. It’s getting closer to the final Golden master but not quite yet.

Good catch @wilsonng … I’m still used to Microsoft betas from the 2000s where they used RC1…RCX to denote.

GM candidate sounds odd to me.

yes, “candidate” does sound confusing. Sometimes, tech journalists create headlines that can appear to be misleading.

Here is an article from MacTrast…

Alright all,

I couldn’t wait until The Omni Group fixed the Clip-O-Tron but I can’t really live without it anymore.

I’ve whipped up an AppleScript that has most functionality (except for multiple messages). You can see the the post on my website which has a link to repo.

You can of course attach this to an Automator Service and assign it a key mapping and use it in Mail, very similarly to the Clip-O-Tron.

Feel free to submit pull requests.

Here’s to hoping the Clip-O-Tron gets some love soon!

Edit: Here’s a quick recording of the script in action on Yosemite: http://recordit.co/195r8JOfTI

1 Like