Permission issues - can't open file via URL handle

I can’t get OmniFocus to open a URL handle

file:///Users/myusername/myfolder/myfile.txt

1. I create the above URL handle in the note section of an OmniFocus action.
  2. It shows up as a clickable link in OmniFocus
  3. I click on the link and the error message “The application OmniFocus.app does not have
    permission to open ‘myfile.txt’”.

The same URL link works in nvALT without modification. When creating a file URL handle in BusyCal, a pop-up window asks to confirm that BusyCal can obtain access to the file — after confirming, BusyCal can open the file. How can I open URL handles in OmniFocus?

I have tried toggling all the options in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy, and I have verified the file is accessible and readable to group everyone. How can I give OmniFocus access to the file system?

2 Likes

I have the same problem. I cannot click on the link without receiving an error message similar to your’s. There is a crazy work around… Right click on the link and select “Open Link”. The link highlight will change from pink to gray (on my machine…) Then right click on the link again and Finder pops up with the appropriate path or file selected. Let me know if this works for you as well, this seems like a bug to me and perhaps we should be letting the good folks at Omni know.

I’m having the same issue.

Me too. I’m sorry to bump, but I couldn’t see any solution so far. Doesn’t anyone know why this happens? It is quite annoying…

From recent reports of this, it appears this may be related to sandboxing restrictions on OS X. For what it’s worth, it looks like Apple’s eased up on some sandboxing behavior between OS X 10.10 Yosemite and OS X 10.11 El Capitan, so if you’re using an AppleScript of some sort to create file: URLs, you may have better luck when running the latest available version of OS X.

Alternatively, you can right-click to bring up the contextual menu’s Attach File command; this provides OmniFocus with a secure reference to the file, which we’re allowed to bookmark and use later.

If you’re still having trouble here and would like us to troubleshoot further with you, as always, the best way to request technical support or report bugs is to contact us directly via email at support@omnigroup.com. I hope this helps!

2 Likes