Perspective Links

I’m having an issue with creating new perspective links within OmniFocus 2.6 test (v109.3.1 r265225).

I’ve had several links in the past for my most commonly used perspectives to help with my Daily Review workflow.

In the past I had a link that didn’t work properly, so I copied it, (it’s called “Plan”) to another perspective called “Daily Focus” and all that I did was edited the last part of the perspective and changed the name, but the link always took me back to the original perspective (Plan).

Fast forward to today, because I finally got sick of it pointing to the wrong perspective, so I created a brand new link which was not copied from anything else.

Once I typed everything in, (which should be correct here), the link appeared like this…

“omnifocus:///perspective/Daily%20Focus”

You’ll have to imagine that “omnifocus:///perspective/” is underlined while Daily%20Focus is not.

I’m stumped as to why this isn’t working, since I was able to do it in the past, my only guess left is that it’s a beta issue which is why I wanted to report it.

I hope all this makes sense.

Thanks,

Scott

Just a quick update, I decided to type in the omnifocus:///perspective/Daily%20Focus URL in the Notes app on my Mac and then paste it into the notes field in the URL link, which worked…

Not sure why OmniFocus isn’t behaving, but at least I’ve been able to address my problem temporarily.

Hi Scott,

By any chance, did you start typing the URL, then switch views or selection in the middle of typing and return to the note? If so, I can reproduce what you are describing here. I get the same results you describe with a partial URL using Notes and Mail as well, so it may be a feature limitation in general when creating URLs. I can’t reproduce the issue if I type it all without changing the selection.

To fix these partial links, select and cut the entire URL. Then choose Paste and Match Style from the Edit menu. That should get the entire URL highlighted and when you click it bringing up the correct perspective without leaving OmniFocus.

Sorry for the trouble! If my description of changing the selection away from the note doesn’t sound like what happened, please let me know and we will try to sort out what is happening with your links. If this only happens when the selection changes, I hope the additional workaround is helpful.

Thanks,
Lanette

Hi,

Yes, that’s completely possible that I did that at one point, so it’s good to hear that you can confirm that as well.

I also just tried typing the whole thing out, and that didn’t work either.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

Typing the whole thing is an interesting scenario! Watch out for capitalization matching as it is case sensitive. It wasn’t immediately obvious to me either that the case needed to match. We allow you to create perspectives of the same name that only vary by capitalization, so in those situations, requiring the correct case makes sense.

Example: Typing omnifocus:///perspective/Changed will bring up the Changed perspective, but omnifocus:///perspective/changed typed directly does not open the perspective because a perspective with that capitalization doesn’t currently exist.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Lanette