Populating fields through email

Hi. I can’t seem to find the list of codes that get populated when you send something through email.

For example, if I forward something to my Omnifocus email account (I think it is called mail drop) and want the deferred date to be next Tuesday, what do I enter? Is that in the subject line or the body of the email?

Thanks!

1 Like

As you noted, you can email things into your OmniFocus inbox using OmniFocus Mail Drop. The subject of the email becomes the title of the action and text contained in the body of the email is added to the note field of the new action.

There isn’t currently a way to specify other attributes (e.g. the defer date) in the email. This would be a very useful addition, especially when used with automation services like Zapier. It is possible to add things to the subject line that are later processed by an Omni Automation or AppleScript script, but this adds a level of complexity and it may be necessary to trigger these scripts manually.

When creating actions based on emails, I typically use Apple Mail combined with the OmniFocus 3: Send to Inbox command in the Mail > Services menu (that I have assigned to a global keyboard shortcut). This creates an action with a link to the original email and any selected text in the note field. When creating the new action, I sometimes fill in some/all of the fields to fully define the action (e.g. add a tag and project).

If you don’t use Apple Mail on the Mac, there are some third-party email apps on both iPhone/iPad and Mac that offer integration with OmniFocus. But, if you’re emailing into OmniFocus from another platform (e.g. a Windows or Android device), there isn’t currently a good option for specifying more than just the title and notes.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for that. I hadn’t noticed the services. That is a little less than ideal, but better than just using the basic only mail drop functionality. It’s weird, I’ve been using OF for so many years, and it seems that I keep getting at how many stupid problems it has, while still being the best out there. I really wish there was good competition that could get omni to step up their game a bit…

Thanks again for the quick reply

1 Like

You’re welcome, @mike99. If you have any suggestions on ways to improve OmniFocus, I encourage you to email the Omni Group by choosing Contact Support from the Help menu (Mac) or Settings (iPhone, iPad).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.