Possible with automation?

I’m not asking for someone to do this for me - just asking whether it’s worth me embarking on a missing to teach myself the automation framework by trying to do this myself:

I use tags for my 3 main axes of organisation, each with a preceding ascii character.

e.g.:
=Essential
=Good Soon
=Whenever

-Today
-This Week
-Weekend

+Work
+Home
+Errands

Etc

I’d love it if there was a way that when I switch one of the tags, OF automatically turns off any other tags in that category, for example if I was changing something from =Good Soon to =Essential, the =Good Soon tag goes away.

I know there’s other ways of achieving this, particularly with the days stuff, but this is how my brain works and if I could coax OF to work with me, I’d be very happy!

Thanks in advance

You would have to manually run an automation each time. PlugIn.Handler is not currently implemented, as far as I know.

1 Like

I have used the Toggle Tag plugin by @deaghean to accomplish this (thanks @deaghean for making it) and think it works excellent, recommend to check it out to see if it is helpful for your use case, see https://github.com/deaghean/omnifocus-plugins

2 Likes

To add to what @cands wrote, @deaghean wrote a Generate Toggle Tag plug-in that cleverly creates plug-in(s) that allow you to toggle tags.

For example, I have tags for each day of the week and used this plug-in to create plug-ins so that I can very easily switch days. For added convenience, I added keyboard shortcuts for each day of the week. I use these shortcuts on my Macs and my iPad (when the hardware keyboard is attached).

3 Likes

This plugin does look like exactly what I’m looking for, but I’m having a little help getting it up and running.
I’ve got it installed and I’m using “Generate Toggle Tag” from the Automation menu.

I’ve ticked “Remove sibling tags when adding a tag” and selected the tags from within their group.
When I add a second tag from the group to an action though, the first does not get removed.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Many thanks!

I just made a set of actions this week using these scripts (thanks!).

I made a separate script for each sibling tag, using the Generate script to create them. I noted that in each new script, I had to first unselect the original tag and then select the tag I wanted. Might this be the problem?

It did “just work” for me, for which I was grateful since I wasn’t sure how to troubleshoot!

I’m wondering if there’s confusion about what the “group” is in this case. For instance, if you have a tag structure like this:

• Work
    • Primary
    • Secondary
  • Personal
    • Day
    • Night

And have “Remove sibling tags” enabled, adding Primary will remove Secondary, adding Day will remove Night, and adding Personal will remove Work. It’s removing other tags in the same hierarchical position, not those you’ve selected in the generator.

Let me know if this wasn’t the issue!

1 Like

Had a look at this again today and I’m still struggling.
here’s a quick video of what I’m trying to do and what’s happening - is anything obviously amiss?
LINK

Very much appreciate your time, by the way - I appreciate you just uploaded something you made for yourself and have better things to do than tech support!

Ahh, I see. So, following what you did in the video, you now have an option in the Automation menu called “At Symbol Test” that contains options to toggle each of the tags you included. If you’re adding a tag by running that plugin it will remove siblings of that tag.

Unfortunately, there isn’t yet a way for a plugin to automatically trigger after you make edits with the regular interface.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.