Question about deferred tasks with no due date:

Based on a suggestion I read, I’m using the tag “next” for things that I want to do, but don’t necessarily have to have a specific due date.

What I want to do is this: Let’s say I complete one of these tasks with the “next” tag. Once I complete it, I want to defer it for two weeks (and again, not have a due date). Is that possible? Thanks!

You can set the action to Repeat Every 2 Weeks with “Schedule the Next” set to Defer Until Date. When you mark this action complete, OmniFocus will assign a defer date such that it becomes available two weeks after you mark it complete.

Repeat%20Every%20One%20Week%20-%20Defer

Note that the repeat settings will be different if the action has a defer date. Specifically, you’ll see a “Repeat From This Item’s” option. Setting it to Completion will calculate the new date based on when you mark it complete.

Repeat%20Every%20One%20Week%20-%20Completion

If the action has both a defer date and a due date you’ll also see a “Schedule the Next” option that allows you to schedule the next action based on either the defer date or the due date.

Repeat%20Every%20One%20Week%20-%20Defer%20and%20Due

It’s worth taking some time to experiment with the repeat feature with some sample tasks. It’s a very useful feature that covers a wide range of scenarios.

1 Like

Thank you so much, very helpful!!

You’re very welcome, Eric. Good to hear this was helpful!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.