When I create a shared layer (for Pro), the layer appears in ALL the canvases in a file (at least they all have the visibility attribute reset). Hmm. Kind of a pain … it would be nice if it did not do this, but since it did, is there a way to get rid of the shared layer in multiple canvases and not just one at a time?
I second this request and will post to support as well. In the process of making these deletions, I have seen another issue. I have seen shared layers disappearing from ALL canvases after deleting one across several but not all canvases.
I have found an approach that may work. To implement shared layer across a limited number of canvases, create a shared layer using the right click and then clicking the option to create a shared layer. This will create only ONE INSTANCE only on your active canvas. After you have done this the layer can then be dragged to other canvases. Taking an existing unshared layer and converting it to a shared layer will cause it to be shared across ALL of your canvases.
ahh … interesting … typical Omni good idea, but not documented (or at least not any place that I can find right away) …
What I need to know is how to prevent Layers from sharing automatically when I create a new canvas.
If you find out let me know. I need to KEEP one layer, somehow I accidentally shared it to other layers, but all they tell you is how to delete one or all! I need the “shared” aspect off, but not deleting the content. Also, if I knew what i did in a list of shortcuts, that would be helpful, because it was a mistake to share it in the first place.
Found this which may help:
Sharing Layers with Multiple Canvases ( PRO )
You can share a layer between multiple canvases. That way, whenever you change the layer, it affects every canvas that uses that layer.
To create a new Shared Layer, do one of the following:
- Choose Edit ▸ Layers ▸ New Shared Layer
- In the Layers sidebar, Control-/Right-click on the desired canvas and choose New Shared Layer from the contextual menu that appears
- Control-/Right-click on the canvas and choose Layers ▸ New Shared Layer from the contextual menu that appears
These methods create a Shared Layer on the current canvas only. To apply the new Shared Layer to other canvases, click to select it in the Layers sidebar and drag it to the other canvases where you want it to show up.
To convert an existing layer to a Shared Layer:
- Choose Edit ▸ Layers ▸ Layer Settings ▸ Shared Layer
- In the Layers sidebar, Control-/Right-click on an existing layer and choose Layer Settings > Shared Layer from the contextual menu that appears
These methods convert the selected layer to a Shared Layer and apply it to all canvases in the project immediately.
Shared Layers have an orange tint added to the Layer Preview, and the objects on the Shared Layer also gain an orange highlight color when selected on the canvas.
After adding a new Shared Layer:
- Add and edit objects on the layer normally.
- Any further changes you make to any copy of the layer are also applied to all other copies of it.
To delete a Shared Layer, do one of the following:
- Select the Shared Layer and press the Delete key
- Choose Edit ▸ Delete from the menu Bar
- Control-/Right-click on the Shared Layer and select Delete Layer in the contextual menu
- Click the and select Delete Layer from the Action menu at the bottom of the sidebar
Deleting a Shared Layer in this way only removes the currently selected instance of the layer.
To remove all instances of the layer from the document, Control-/Right-click on one of them in the Layer sidebar and choose Delete (layer name) from All Canvases , or choose Delete (layer name) from All Canvases from the Action menu at the bottom of the sidebar.