Repeating tasks each day till meeting, then no repeat

Hi,
is there a way to set repeating tasks to repeat each day until the due date and then not repeat any more? For example: I have a meeting on Friday and I want to work on the items each day until the meeting on Friday. Can I create a repeating task “work on meeting items” to repeat each day until the meeting, then stop repeating?

To what degree can I automate this, and what is it that I have to do as a human?

I am not sure if I understand the items “completion” or “assign dates”

thanks in advance,

Hank

1 Like

I am not sure why my topic is greyed out - is there anything that I have to do to make it active?

It’s visible to me here, Hank.

There’s no “end on XXX date” feature. What I do is put a separate task and set the defer date and due date to the ending date with the title “delete task ABC when finished.” Then I’ll manually delete it on that date.

When you check off a task as complete, OmniFocus will auto-enter the completion date into the Date Completed field. You can manually adjust it if you wish.

I usually just name the task “Work on my rocket ship project until February 28, 2021”. When the item repeats, the task title reminds me to just delete it afterwards.

I usually use one task set to repeat, then disable repeat in the Inspector before I click the task complete.

However, looks like there might be an Omni Automation way to stop the repeat with a click.

I agree with @wilsonng that repeat does not have an end date option. So, when you don’t need it anymore, you must manually delete the repeating task.

There’s no “end on XXX date” feature.

I am curious if your Friday meeting repeats every week. If it does, you might consider giving the task the following options. I’ve included a screenshot of the settings.

1. Setting the task to “Repeat Every: 1 Week”
  2. Selecting every weekday (ie. M, T, W, T, & F) under “Days of Week”
  3. Deferring the first task to Monday 6:00 AM
  4. Selecting “Repeat From This Item’s: Completion”

Also, the difference between “Completion” and “Assigned Dates” depends on when you complete a task. I prefer to use “Completion.” But here are examples of how they work.

• Completion: If you have a task that is deferred to Monday and you complete it on Monday, the next task will be deferred until Tuesday. If you complete that task on Tuesday, the next task will be deferred until Wednesday. However, if you have a task that is deferred to Monday and complete it on Wednesday, then the next task will be deferred until Thursday. Likewise, if you had a task that was deferred to Monday but you completed it on Thursday, the new task would be deferred until Friday.
  • Assigned Dates: If you have a task that is deferred to Monday and you complete it on Monday, the next task will be deferred until Tuesday. If you complete that task on Tuesday, the next task will be deferred until Wednesday. However, where you see the difference between “Assigned Dates” and “Completion” is if you don’t complete the task on the defer or due date. if you have a task that is deferred to Monday (2/22) and you complete it on Wednesday (2/24), then the next task will be deferred until Tuesday (2/23). Likewise, if you had a task that was deferred to Monday (2/22) but you completed it on Thursday (2/25), the new task would be deferred until Tuesday (2/23).

Hope that helps.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.