Retrieve list of tasks with Shortcuts app

I am looking for an automated way to retrieve a list of tasks from a certain perspective in Omnifocus 3 for iOS.

Omnifocus on iOS has great integration with Shortcuts (nee Workflow) for inputting tasks, but nothing much for retrieving them. I am in the process of creating a Shortcut that will compile a list of information about my upcoming day (including a weather report, upcoming calendar events, etc) and display that info in a single pdf document. What I am looking for is a way to have Workflow pull all of the tasks from a perspective called “Work” (which has shows me all tasks from within certain projects that are either due soon or flagged).

Does this exist? I can’t find any automated way to retrieve a list of tasks from Omnifocus on iOS period, but maybe I’m missing some function that is available through x-callback or similar. If not, anybody aware of a workaround?

Apologies if this is a repeat, but I didn’t see any recent posts discussing this topic.Thanks!

As far as I can tell, there’s no way to get tasks out of Omnifocus on iOS without using the share button to copy tasks.

I would really like a way to do this, as well as a way to mark tasks complete without having to interact with the UI.

Agreed and when you share action groups or projects in general, they don’t include the whole list of included actions. That seems like a glaring ommision.

I recently built one that I trigger by Siri after using multiselect and copy, which starts by asking for input and I paste in the tasks (Shortcuts seems to only grab the URL of the tasks if I use a Get Clipboard action).

It combines the actions with a flat text readout of my calendar events into a note in Agenda. Maybe this might help?

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/bfbc3c1d6d284d3fb11917bbe4126c73

ScottyJ

Hi there,

The Fantastical workflow might help? I don’t really understand it, but it seems to take a task out of Omnifocus and add it to Fantastical, so in theory it should be able to do that for a group of tasks? I would also like this, similar to the OP and have the list of tasks from custom perspective emailed to my self (together with my calendar events). I think I may have seen a Siri shortcut workflow to export projects to Agenda, but I’m not sure…

Here’s the link to the Fantastical workflow:

Scroll down to the samples…

I tried using your shortcut, but nothing happened in Agenda. It just opened up to my “On the Agenda” view. Does the shortcut still work for you?

Hi @scrollsgeek! I had a closer look, and a few things stand out about how I built this:

1. It needs access to your calendar
  2. (And this is most likely the issue here) The Agenda URL expects a project called “Journal” to post a note to (projects can’t be created by URL scheme).

This can be fixed by either creating a project in Agenda called Journal or editing the URL (second last step in the Shortcut) to change the project-title= attribute to the name of the project you’d like to use (make sure the project title’s name is URL-encoded here, like having %20 for spaces, etc.).

Hope this helps!

ScottyJ

Thanks @heyscottyj —I had a category named “journal” but no specific project called “journal.” Thanks for the tip. This shortcut is just what I needed for my daily review.

Btw, I really appreciate your meeting processor shortcut. It is really useful for dissertation committee meetings.

Warm regards

I’m glad these are helpful!

There are a few versions of the Meeting Processor, so I’m going to do a blog post on the latest (and probably last for awhile) version, which cross-links Agenda and OF content. Currently this is tagged with Backlog in my OF 😂

Cheers,

ScottyJ

Oh good—I look forward to your next blog post once it escapes the backlog zone. I’m using the version from the February post on learnomnifocus.com. I was just tinkering around with getting it to work with the email app Spark on my coffee break today.

Michael