Send an Omnifocus 3 Action to Apple Reminders

I have looked high and low, and I will apologise if I missed it, but the lack of calendar integration in Omnifocus 3 is driving me insane.

I want to be able to see my OF3 actions in my Fantastical calendar app, but I get that it can be too busy, so I would settle on being able to right click on an action, select services and send a specific project/inbox action to Apple Reminder list.

I have tried to write an AppleScript to do this, but failed miserably. Does anyone know if there is a simple way of doing this?!

Have you thought of doing it the other way with Forecast view and bringing your calendar into Omnifocus?

I have indeed, and that works for most of my use cases, but I need to be able to do the reverse too. It is really amazing that this is missing and spoils what is otherwise a excellent app.

Surely I can’t be the only person who needs/wants this?

I think suggesting that lack of this feature spoils an excellent product is unfair. If you copy tasks to reminders, you then would have to double handle checking off items. This is the opposite of productivity, especially if you get out of sync. How do you decide what to sync? All of this seems such much more trouble than it’s worth.

No other task management app (other than reminders) integrates with Fantastical that I’m aware of.

Calendars and Tasks are two separate things, they have to co-exist, but i don’t want to look at both all day. I want to concentrate on one or the other.

Of course, if you really want the feature you can request via the support team, but it my not technically be possible at the moment.

I think suggesting that lack of this feature spoils an excellent product is unfair.

The word “Spoils” is maybe a bit harsh. I live my life with OmniFocus so it can’t be that bad.

If you copy tasks to reminders, you then would have to double handle checking off items.

Being able to copy a few tasks into reminders would be sufficient for my purposes. I don’t need every single task to be in Reminders - just the occasional task I wanted to be reminded on my phone rather than just my Mac.

Calendars and Tasks are two separate things, they have to co-exist, but i don’t want to look at both all day. I want to concentrate on one or the other.

I think my poor explanation may have given the false impression that I need a deep integration that works both ways all of the time. As I said, the occasional OmniFocus activity being pushed to reminders would suffice. For example, in Fantastical calendar I can mark a Microsoft To Do task as complete and it will update my MS To Do list.

Of course, if you really want the feature you can request via the support team, but it my not technically be possible at the moment.

Yep, agree, will do.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

1 Like

Rosemary Orchard has written a script modifying a script by unlocked2412 for Keyboard Maestro which in regular intervals which you can determine creates events in your calendar using tasks which have a due date. The script is called “Auto Update OmniFocus Calendar”. Possibly this helps. For me it is very useful. You could possibly also create it as an Apple Script. But I’m not an expert in this.

1 Like

Hi, Thank you for replying. I had a good look at the script that Rosemary kindly shared with everyone. The only challenge is that I have to leave the Mac on all the time for the sync to happen.

I think the only thing left is to get my head down and write the Apple Script.

Ok, it is not perfect and I also borrowed some of this from someone else’s scripts (apologies I cannot recall where I actually borrowed this from so can’t attribute the actual author) but it will create Apple reminders from a OF action you select. It at least gives me a basic ability to get a reminder across my devices. When I get more time I’ll also add in the ability to mark a task complete in Apple reminders and push it back to OF so you don’t have to manually mark it as complete.

tell application "OmniFocus"
	tell front window
		set my_sel to selected trees of content
		set my_selection to value of item 1 of my_sel
		set task_name to get name of my_selection
		set a_note to get note of my_selection
		if due date of my_selection is missing value then
			display dialog "No due date" buttons {"Ok"}
			set goForIt to false
		else
			set due_date to get due date of my_selection
			makeReminder(task_name, a_note, due_date, "OmniFocus") of me
		end if
	end tell
end tell

on makeReminder(reminderName, reminderBody, reminderDueDate, reminderListName)
	tell application "Reminders"
		if not (exists list reminderListName) then
			make new list with properties {name:reminderListName}
		end if
		set existingReminder to reminders where due date = reminderDueDate and name = reminderName
		if existingReminder is {} then
			return make new reminder ¬
				with properties {name:reminderName, body:reminderBody, due date:reminderDueDate} ¬
				at list reminderListName
		end if
		return missing value
	end tell
end makeReminder
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.