Sort by context ≠ Group by context

When using a Perspective, setting Group By None, and Sort By Context, the actions appear in a seemingly random order. The Context at the top of the sidebar is listed in the middle of the action list.

By Contrast, if I use Group By Context, the Contexts are listed in the same order as they are in the sidebar.

How do I fix this?

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion here! The “Sort By Context” option orders alphabetically by context name, not by the order of your contexts in the sidebar. If you wanted to instead organize by the order of your contexts in the sidebar, the “Group By Context” option will likely be your best bet. I’ll go ahead and let the team know you’d rather see that sorting option use the sidebar order instead of alphabetically sorting, though!

Hi Aaron, thanks for your reply.

This needs to be fixed. Sort by Context should use the order defined in the Context sidebar, just like Group by Context.

Group by/Sort by Project already works this way. The Projects appear in exactly the order of the Projects in the sidebar, in both Group by and Sort by.

What has to happen for Omni to fix this in Q1 of this year?

We’re happy to consider any and all user requests for improving OmniFocus, but I’m afraid I can’t provide an ETA as to if or when we’d be able to make this particular change, sorry.

Well, that’s not very encouraging.

+1 for making “Sort by Context” follow order of contexts in the sidebar, rather than alphabetical.

It took me a few minutes to figure out why my “sort by contexts” were in the wrong order. As @anamorph notes above, the current behavior is inconsistent with how all (most?) other group/sort options work.

Of course, please let me know if this has been updated, but it does not appear to be in my version 2.7.2 (v109.16 r271654).

I’ll email support as well. Thanks for any help!

+1 I want this as well as I have ordered my context by importance and time of day. Ex. A Morning context at top and Evening at the bottom.

This is great, but…feature (and support) requests are only considered by @SupportHumans if submitted via email — the more people to write, the more importance it gets.

You can find all you need inside the app:

• HelpContact Omni on macOS
  • SettingsContact Omni on iOS

Yup, do that all the time. Everyone should do it to make OF better! I love it, but it’s behind on certain things.

You know, it’s too bad nobody at Omni knows any software developers. If they did, they could add a “Send to Omni” button in the forum to reduce friction and get a better feedback sampling.

Or maybe something like this, from Welcome to our forums!:

2 Likes

Well, you used the secret handshake 30 days ago, and it brought no response.

My message was a reminder on how to report. Not a feature request, or support request.
I do agree response times could be better but this is a user-forum (hosted by Omni), not a tool for asking support or submitting feature requests. Omni is clear on their communication and, their team, quite active here in my opinion. :)))))

1 Like