Sort tasks in projects by due date

How can I have tasks in a project automatically sorted by due date? Even if a new task is added or an existing task is completed, everything should be sorted automatically according to the due date. So far this has only worked for me manually, whereby I always have to start the sorting again.

1 Like

OmniFocus doesn’t currently support the automatic sorting of projects. If you haven’t already, I recommend requesting this feature by choosing “Contact Omni” from the Help menu.

3 Likes

Would be a job for a plugin. You would need to describe exactly how it should behave. Especially with items without due date, nesting with action groups, action groups with due date (?), should this be done on selected/all projects and so on.

In a project, you need to be careful on how you define the task structure. By default, most projects are sequential order, so the task at the top has to be done before the ones below it. Due date is a secondary value. You can technically set a due date for a task that is blocked by another one, making it unavailable. This would effectively obscure the due date.

If you only have a due date for the project, all the tasks within it inherit that due date, similarly with a group.

You can have a list that shows tasks sorted by due date in a Perspective. I have one I call Today. It only shows due or flagged items & is organizing individual actions grouped by due date & sorted by due date. I only show available tasks though, thus why I reference the structure matters in sequential groups/projects.