Splitting tasks between 2 resources question

(Apologies if this has been posted before, I’ve searched extensively on here and Google and been trying to solve this myself, but can’t seem to)

Can any tell me the best way to do this in Omniplan:

I have project where I’m creating tasks that have an overall effort (budgeted in days) associated with them, but I want to split them between 2 resources

E.g. A task - ‘User research’ : has a total effort of 7 days effort budgeted to it

I’d like to assign this task to 2 resources/consultants:

Consultant 1 - to spend 3 days effort
Consultant 2 - to spend 4 days effort

However, I also want the total duration of the task to last 4 days. I.e. the research lasts/is scheduled from Monday to Thursday, with Consultant 1 working Mon to Wed, and Consultant 2 working Monday to Thursday.

I can’t work out how to do this in Omniplan (v2.4) although I’ve been trying for days. Please can someone help?

Many thanks, Ant

@ant_m In OmniPlan 3 we introduced a new Resource Allocation option thats should help you set this up. In OmniPlan 3, you can tell OmniPlan that assigned resources “work independently” on a task. This option takes into account each resource’s work schedule and starts the task as soon as one of the assigned resources is available.

If you’d like to give this feature a try in your project, a two week trial version of OmniPlan 3 is available for download on our website: https://www.omnigroup.com/omniplan/

Hope this helps!

When I split a task between 2 resources and allow the task to be split Omniplan is still waiting until both resources to be available to start even though I have selected ‘Resources work independently’. I would expect that it would split some of the effort off to fill in when one of the resources are available. How can I accomplish this?

@cameronreese Someone on our Support team would be happy to troubleshoot this with you! Would it be possible for you to send in the document that you’re working with so that they can take a look at it? If sending the file in is an option for you, please compress the file in Finder before attaching it to the email (to do so, right click or control click on the document in Finder and select “Compress” from the contextual menu).

If you’d prefer to send in an anonymized copy of your file, you can do so by selecting Help > Contact Omni… in the OmniPlan menu bar and selecting the option to include a copy of the file. This will create an email with a copy of your OmniPlan document, replacing all of the text in your document with “Xxxxx” strings.

Thanks!

I have the same problem with version 3.11.1

The task is set to “Resources work independently” but when I add an additional resource to help when they become available, the task moves forward to start only when both the original resource and the new one are available.

@jameselson Sorry for the trouble! There are a few reasons why this could be happening in your project’s schedule - could you contact our Support team so that they can look into it with you? They can be reached by email at omniplan@omnigroup.com.

Hi, how do I set resources to work independently in OmniPlan 4?