Store Omnifocus on an USB stick

Hi,
for personal reason i want to store my whole OF “database” on an USB stick instead on my mac under folder ~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2. I didn’t try to symlink this folder because the folder itself contains already a lot of symlinks to Desktop or whatever.

Is there an official way or a specific symlink i can use to store OF on an external drive. I’m sure it was possible in an previous version of OF.

Thanks
Marko

Hi Marko! Sorry, but at the moment, OmniFocus 2 doesn’t support databases in folders outside the container that you mention. In order to support Apple’s sandboxing restrictions, OmniFocus needs to keep the vast majority of its information in the container; otherwise, it might run into trouble reopening or reading the database.

While this was technically possible in OmniFocus 1, that version of OmniFocus didn’t support OS X sandboxing. If you’re able to elaborate on your reasons for needing your database outside the container, our support team would love to hear about it.

hey @tekl,
thanks for your quick response and explanation. I understand the technical reason now.

Thanks
Marko

I could imagine that i can symlink the folder ~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniFocus2/Data/Library/Application Support/OmniFocus to my USB stick. It looks like that this folder contains the “database” and the backups.

As you mentioned before, I ask the support team what they think about it.

Marko