Switch defer and due

I don’t know about others but I use due dates significantly more than defer dates but I always have to tab thru the defer field to get to the due field. It makes more sense to me if the due field comes first as you’re tabbing past the context field.

1 Like

Really? What about badges? Doesn’t it bother you to have gazillions of overdue/due soon tasks?
I’m very strict on due dates, only using when a task is really due.
That said, I’d vote for it to stay exactly like it is :D

3 Likes

Put in a feature request. But don’t be too optimistic: there are many people who are very happy with the current layout or, like @ediventurin below, hardly use Due dates. GTDers, of whom there are many here, tend to be sparing with Due dates, only using them when they’re critical information.

Sooner or later, the suggestion that this be a user preference will come up, which will spark another round of believers vs engineers

3 Likes

I didn’t think it was that bad to have a bunch of overdue/due soon tasks because I felt like it really pushed me to take action on things. It was also sort of a built-in review mode for those tasks: why didn’t I get it done today? What should I change about it to make it more do-able?

I don’t think it is too bad. For me, the reason they don’t work is that I ended up ignoring most of them and entering a never ending cycle of reassigning due dates to task (postponing them). I don’t remember where exactly I read about the benefits of using start dates instead, as there are plenty of good posts out there. At certain point it clicked, and it improved my workflows considerably.

Some examples of nice posts on this matter (new and old, all of them I’ve read before):

:)

2 Likes

Changing the dates over would put them out of Chronological order which would drive OCD GTD’ers like me mad. I understand your position but if you don’t use them, why not ask to hide.

Defer is a fantastic option though as things ‘disappear’ in a lot of perspectives because they’re not available actions. so you can focus on what needs doing now.

1 Like

I’m going to take the advice of the replies in this thread and try to switch away from managing via due dates. Thanks!

2 Likes

Curious to know how it goes… Report your progress ;-)

Seems to work fine and the burden of pushing things out is a lot less.

One minor drawback was that all the due items were forcing me to examine a lot more items each day. This was sort of like a forced daily review of things that were important to me. Without that, the app is much easier to use but at the same time, I don’t feel quite as driven to get things done now.

1 Like

…until you realize you are spending your energy on what really matters… and have that a-ha moment of operating with a mind like water ;-)

1 Like