Templates in OF 3?

Hi everyone. I have always used my MacBook Air with AppleScript for my templates.
I really want to use my iPad Pro full time and keep my MacBook Air at home.
Is it worth trying to learn Editorial or Workflow this late in the game or should I wait for OF 3?
I don’t have my TestFlight access yet but curious if anyone has tried templates in OF 3 (if they even exist).
Thanks!

Sadly, there is no built-in method to create templates inside OmniFocus 3 TestFlight.

Yes, Workflow is a popular way to create templates on the iPad. I’m looking forward to seeing OmniJS that will be developed eventually which allows automation on both iOS and Mac. But it looks like it will be a while. This sounds like a feature for version 3.1 instead of 3.0. But you’ll have to be familiar with Javascript to attempt this. Workflow sounds like an easier solution to create templates.

Send an e-mail to ofpreview@omnigroup.com to show your interest in templates for OmniFocus 3.

Drafts 5 is more or less the new Editorial, which hasn’t been updated much recently. There are some good action groups being shared to create task paper templates there to create projects with.

Here’s my method: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/omnifocus/comments/69xjg3/how_i_use_templates_on_ios/

2 Likes

Wow, really great information. Thanks everyone. After one week, I have completely moved away from my MacBook Air. It is much faster than AppleScript. The only thing I miss is the feature to have a “start” and “ask” script feature however the trade-off is well worth it!
Thanks again.

Omnigroup’s strategy to automation will be interesting. Currently, we can use the iOS apps such as Workflow, Drafts, and Editorial. The Mac has Keyboard Maestro and /AppleScript.

The promise of OmniJS is that you can write in OmniJS and it should work on both Mac and iOS platforms.

I guess I have to start learning Javascript now to get an idea how to use OmniJS.

We can look at the Omni Automation web site here:

https://www.omni-automation.com

If you play around with OmniJS with OmniOutliner, you’ll get an idea of what to expect when OmniJS arrives in OF3.

I have been using workflow to create functionality not even available on the Mac. It is a great app, and I have a lot of workflow templates set-up for exactly what I want to do. A lot more templates then I have on the Mac.

Do you have any workflows you’d like to share?

Hal,

Most of the workflows are work related, dealing with particular items from work, where I prompt for things so not appropriate for sharing.

Listen to this podcast here:

Be sure to see the links and show notes for an accompanying YouTube screencast featuring a Projects Template demo using Siri Shortcuts and Drafts.

2 Likes