Today: modern iOS widget vs Watch complication?

Trying to get my Watch complication and my iOS widget numbers to match, and it seems I must be missing something obvious:

• For the complication, Watch & Today in Settings determines what’s displayed as Today. At the moment, based on my settings (I’ve only selected Due Today), that number is 2 (one is available now, and the other will be available later today).

• In the modern iOS widget, the Today number is 15, because items with the Today tag are also included.

So…what can I do to make them both be either 2 or 15? Removing the Today tag from 13 items is one way to go, but it’s a bit draconian. Any other options?

(I think I’ll probably feel really silly when someone tells me…)

I think a lot of it has to do with Apple Watch infrastructure. Your phone and Apple Watch sync up on its own schedule. It’s not in the area of control and influence that software developers can change.

I believe a lot of that has to do with preserving battery life of the Watch and phone. Some apps might go wild and ping each other constantly. This will drastically impact battery life.

We would probably have to wait for Apple to finally allow app developers the needed APIs to update the frequency cycle.

1 Like

Oh, sorry I wasn’t clear: the Today numbers on the watch and iOS are based on different things! Unless I’m just wildly off, my observation is:

• The watch complication Today number does not include tasks with the Today tag.

• The iOS widget Today number includes tasks with the Today tag.

What I haven’t figured out is how to standardize this—either behavior can work for me from a “trusted system” perspective, but having them be different is causing friction/undermining trust in the system. While I know they’re different when I stop to remember, and I think I know why, I’m catching on it every time, like a rough patch that needs sanding.

I can’t imagine I’m the first to note the difference, which suggests…this probably has some simple fix I’m overlooking. 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.