Toggle Availability via Shortcut or Script?

Hello!
Is there a way to toggle Availability via Shortcut or Script?

Available -> Remaining -> All

Especially in own perspectives it is cumbersome to set this in view options.

Thanks
Michael

1 Like

There was someone from Omni here in 2015 saying that a feature request for this will be created.

Now 4 years later no news? I mean this should be about 30-60 minutes maximum to implement - I am a developer myself.

So please OmniGroup, do something about this!

For a couple years now, I’ve used AppleScripts in OmniFocus 2 to switch between the different task availability filter states by hotkeys, and it is incredibly useful. Keyboard Maestro tells me, I have invoked those AppleScripts a little over 1800 times so far. 🙂

Unfortunately, there is a bug in OmniFocus 3 that causes those script commands to only work with the built-in perspectives and not with custom perspectives, where they are needed most (see here, for more details). I’ve filed a bug report about it 6 weeks ago, but haven’t heard back yet.

I’m actually still using OmniFocus 2 (even though I bought OF3 soon after it was released), and not being able to quickly switch between the different task state filters is one of the main reasons for this decision.

I was happy with being able to toggle the availability filter via AppleScript, but now that I think about it, it would make so much more sense to have this basic functionality available via menu items / shortcuts, so that every user had access to it, and not just the 10% or so of users that extend OmniFocus via AppleScript.

Now for the most important part:
If you agree that being able to toggle the task availability filter by shortcut would be really useful, you need to send a short feature request to omnifocus@omnigroup.com. Posting your support for this feature request here on the forum, in contrast to popular belief, does not help. Only if this feature receives enough votes via email will it get implemented.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the OF3 bug that broke the applescript has been resolved?

I found a mechanism that works reliably in OF3, just to toggle between Available and Incomplete (aka Remaining). You could extend this to handle three states in succession, just add "else if the selected task state filter identifier = “incomplete” then set the selected task state filter identifier to “all” as two lines before the existing else.

tell application "OmniFocus"
	tell the default document to tell the front document window to tell content
		if the selected task state filter identifier = "available" then
			set the selected task state filter identifier to "incomplete"
		else
			set the selected task state filter identifier to "available"
		end if
	end tell
end tell
1 Like