Turning off inheritance of project tags - possible?

Hi,

I have a tag that I use for projects for which I have support materials. Unfortunately, this tag is inherited by every (sib)task that I create in these projects, and this often does not make sense because it indicates that I have support materials that I need for this specific task - which is not the case most of the time.

Currently I have to manually delete this tag every time I create a new task. Is it possible to turn of inheritance? Otherwise an option would be great!

Best regards!

1 Like

Not possible that I know of.

I’d like some tags to inherit, and some to not inherit. What would be useful are “Project Tags.” Tags that only apply to the project. This would be in additional to the current inheritable tags.

We’d then also need perspective functions like: Project Tagged with any of:

4 Likes

Great idea! I agree - we do need the ability to have project only tags and not have them inherit.

1 Like

Any word on this from devs? Sorry not sure of the feature request process. But stopping actions inheriting the project’s tags would make things so much better.

I want to use tags to prioritise projects but it’s made so difficult by actions inheriting them. It adds so much noise to the system.

You need to contact Omni support directly.

1 Like

Resurfacing this… Here is the feedback I sent to Omnigroup:

"Feature Request: An option to turn off inherited tags when tagging at the project level. I assume some people like to have tags from the main project inherited but I’d rather not have that happen. I’d think a preference item to turn off tag inheritance would be very useful. Need to be able to turn it off on both iOS and Mac. If you want to go a step further maybe have a way of indicating that a tag is a project only tag. That way you could tag a project with tags that are for the project only and then have interhited tags where it makes sense. Then we’d need perspective functions like: "Project Tagged with any of:”

5 Likes

I agree with georgeacrump and will second that feature request in an e-mail to Omnigroup

1 Like

Has the request of georgeacrump and gjohnhazel been made a feature of OF4?

I just tested it in OF 4 on the Mac and tags from the project are populating automatically to the tasks and I’m not seeing an option to disable that.

This was and is annoying. But as things are one could possibly, though uncomfortably work around it.

• One way is to use a trigger task within the project Alpha which e.g. could have the name “trigger:project A” so that you know what it is ment for and let it have the tag you originally wanted the project to have (and not its tasks). Let’s say the wanted tag is “@A”. In the tags perspective trigger:project A would show up. You just need to press the button next to the project information and you are in the project.

• The next way would be instead of selecting the tag for the project Alpha to add @A to its name. If you want to find it again you have to use the search. That means forget about the Tags perspective.

• The third one would be to mark all the tasks of the project together (except for the project) and delete the tag which you didn’t want them to inherit. Adding a new task would of course bring the problem again.To do it this way without then having to delete the unwanted tag in the new task requires quite a good memory.

• The fourth one would be to plan all the tasks and after that add the wanted tag to the project. If you are capable of doing this always CONGRATULATIONS.

• The fifth one could be that you create e.g. four folders for following the Eisenhower principle and put the respective projects into these different folders. This approach would, however, complicate the attempt to group your projects along your areas of responsibility.

From my point of view the trigger approach seems to be a viable way around. But a proper solution is s.th. different. But I’m really interested what your approaches are.

1 Like