Unresponsive for a few seconds

For a few weeks now, every time I open Omnifocus to check or add something, it becomes unresponsive for a few seconds. Sometimes it happens twice, and then after that it works fine. It seems to queue up my gestures and taps, while in this state, and then suddenly they all happen at the same time.

This is very frustrating, I just need to check something for a second, but then I have to wait 5 or 6 endless seconds before I can do what I need.

I sync to Omni sync server, and to iMac. Can I reset my database on the phone and then restore from sync server without losing all my stuff? Can somebody please tell me correct procedure for doing this?

Thanks!!

That does sound frustrating! You can certainly reset your local database and download it from the Omni sync server again. Before you do, though, sync all your devices once, to get your account up to date.

Also, it doesn’t hurt to make sure that you have a current backup somewhere, just in case. (On your Mac, you can look at your backups using the File > Show Backups… menu item. Each file includes the date it was taken in its name.)

To reset your database in OmniFocus for iPhone 2.x:

• Return to the Home screen
  • Drag down to reveal the Secret Bar and tap Settings
  • Scroll to the bottom, where you should see a row labeled Database
  • Tap the Reset button there and confirm the alert that pops up

At this point, OmniFocus should reset to the state it was in just after being installed for the first time. From there, you can continue to set up your Omni Sync Server account, and OmniFocus should pull down your sync database.

If that doesn’t resolve your problems, don’t be afraid to get in touch! Our support team is standing by at omnifocus@omnigroup.com to help out.

1 Like

Fixed up very easy. Thanks very much!

We continue to get reports of this, and would really like to fix this. If you’re experiencing this, or have experienced it in the last couple weeks, any of the following info might help us:

• What version of iOS is on your device?
  • What were you doing in the minute or two before this happened?
  • Do you sync this database with Omni Sync Server or some other server?
  • Do you use Reminders Capture?
  • Do you use Calendar Alarms?
  • Do you have OmniFocus in your Today list?
  • Do you have a custom keyboard installed?
  • How good was your internet connection when this happened?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

What version of iOS is on your device?

Newest version of 8.

What were you doing in the minute or two before this happened?

Usually opening forecast and scrolling around.

Do you sync this database with Omni Sync Server or some other server?

Omni Sync

Do you use Reminders Capture?

Yes, but very infrequently.

Do you use Calendar Alarms?

No.

Do you have OmniFocus in your Today list?

Yes

Do you have a custom keyboard installed?

No

How good was your internet connection when this happened?

I think here might be the problem. It happens at home and at work, but it becomes responsive again much quicker on the home wifi than the 3G connection I get at work.

On the wifi, unresponsive for maybe 2 seconds. On the 3G, up to maybe 5 seconds.
I hope this helps!