Use calendar days vs. working days?

When I add a prerequisite with delays, the delay is in working days (according to the resource calendar).
How can I make a prerequisite where the delay is a fixed number of calendar days?

Default:

• task 1: 11/2/2015 (Monday)
  • task 2: task 1 + 10d = 11/17 (10 working days)

Wanted (in certain situations):

• task 2: task 1 + 10d = 11/13 (10 calendar days)

I want to avoid the workaround: assigning the task to a resource that uses a 7days-a-week schedule.

Attached a screenshot of what I mean. I have created section 1, copied it to section 2 and 3 and changed the start date.
Section 1: starting on Monday. Both finish Friday.
Section 2: starting on Tuesday. 5 working days finishes Mon Nov 9, 5 calendar days finishes Sat Nov 7.
Section 2: starting on Thursday. 5 working days finishes Wed Nov 11, 5 calendar days finishes Mon Nov 9.

I achieve this by assigning it to a “calendar days” resource, which uses a 7 days-a-week schedule. And by using the default setting of “adjust task duration” when changing resource assignments.
Still confusing: the duration is shown as 4d or 3d, which is the working days of the default schedule. Effort for both is 1w, based on the schedule of that resource.

I am hoping there is an easier and clearer way of achieving this.
Additional request: show the weekends in the GANTT view (grayed out).

An example: paint drying takes 1.5 days, and is not related to working hours.
For MS Project I could use edays.
Similar to the request that was made in 2008.

In another thread, a similar issue with dependencies that elapse in calendar time was resolved by changing the project schedule to 24/7 and then setting up resource schedules as appropriate. I think the same could work here, unless you find it causes whatever problem you were facing assigning the task to a 24/7 resource…

Hi lizard, the workaround you mention is the one I described in my original post. ;-)
My question/request: is there an easier way?
The workaround means the reader needs to know they should ignore the duration field (I now do this by giving the row a different color), and it also means that the GANTT does not show the real end date (if it is a non-working day/time).

And if want to offset a task (e.g. task 2 starts 20 elapsed days after task 1), then I am forced to add that offset as a task. Some prefer it that way because it makes it more explicit what the offset is based on, but now I am forced to use it.

You suggest using a 24x7 default calendar. I am hesitant doing that, as elapsed is the exception and not the default. It would mean I create custom calendar(s) for all regular resources, and often I have tasks that are not assigned to someone which means I would need to create a “TBD” resource that has a 8x5 calendar.

In MS project I simply used edays (elapsed days) instead of days (working days). Either for task durations/efforts, or for constraint offsets.

@lizard: suggestions about:

• using edays instead of the workaround?
  • showing weekends in the GANTT view?

OmniPlan does not directly support elapsed days.

To show weekends in the Gantt view, choose an option from the Non-Working Time submenu of the View menu.

If you use the 24x7 calendar for the project…

• You can set an elapsed dependency offset by editing the dependency (on either of the tasks involved). If you want a work day dependency offset, then you would have to create a “task” for it.

• You can create a resource group and set the normal workday calendar on that group. Then move all your other resources and groups inside that group so they inherit it.

We participate here as we have time. If you need a more timely response, I encourage you to contact our support team via omniplan@omnigroup.com or phone call.

Thanks lizard.
Great to see the weekends (and other non-working time) can now be selected in v3.
For the edays: any plans to implement this? The workaround works, but is not ideal (nor is is compatible when im-/exporting from MS Project)

We have had a couple requests for elapsed time calculations, and I will add your comments to the feature request. I cannot speak to future plans.